Expectational Stability of Resonant Frequency Sunspot Equilibria
We consider the stability under adaptive learning of the complete set of solutions to the model when . In addition to the fundamentals solution, the literature describes both finite-state Markov sunspot solutions, satisfying a resonant frequency condition, and autoregressive solutions depending on an arbitrary martingale difference sequence. We clarify the relationships between these solutions and show that the stability properties of equilibria may depend crucially on the representation used by agents in the learning process. Only the finite-state Markov sunspot solutions can be stable under learning.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Woodford, Michael, 1990.
"Learning to Believe in Sunspots,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 277-307, March.
- Evans, George W., 1989. "The fragility of sunspots and bubbles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 297-317, March.
- G. Desgranges & G. Negroni, 2001.
"Expectations Coordination on a Sunspot Equilibrium: an Eductive Approach,"
THEMA Working Papers
2001-13, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Desgranges, Gabriel & Negroni, Giorgio, 2003. "Expectations Coordination On A Sunspot Equilibrium: An Eductive Approach," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(01), pages 7-41, February.
- Gourieroux, C & Laffont, J J & Monfort, Alain, 1982. "Rational Expectations in Dynamic Linear Models: Analysis of the Solutions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 409-25, March.
- repec:oup:restud:v:53:y:1986:i:2:p:227-39 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_497. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.