What Makes Firms in Emerging Markets Attractive to Foreign Investors? Micro-evidence from the Czech Republic
We use a panel of Czech firms to enhance existing literature where the dependent variable is foreign ownership. In our estimation, we control for endogeneity and unobserved effects using standard methods complemented by tests for heterogenous Granger-causality. We also model foreign ownership as a response variable in a hazard model and consider sorting by foreign owners rather then by domestic firms. We find that foreigners target firms with a greater ownership concentration in industries’s with higher level of risk, in countries with lower labor costs and corporate income taxes.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1|
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, James D., 1990. "Analysis of time series subject to changes in regime," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 39-70.
- Makhija, Anil K & Spiro, Michael, 2000. "Ownership Structure as a Determinant of Firm Value: Evidence from Newly Privatized Czech Firms," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1-31, August.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Simeon Djankov, 1999.
"Ownership Structure and Enterprise Restructuring in Six Newly Independent States,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(1), pages 75-95, April.
- Djankov, Simeon, 1999. "Ownership structure and enterprise restructuring in six newly independent states," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2047, The World Bank.
- Lin, Chihuang H. & Shiu, Cheng-Yi, 2003. "Foreign ownership in the Taiwan stock market--an empirical analysis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 19-41, February.
- Anderson, Christopher W & Jandik, Tomas & Makhija, Anil K, 2001. "Determinants of Foreign Ownership in Newly Privatized Companies in Transition Economies," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 161-75, May.
- Anete Pajuste, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Stock Market Performance in Central and Eastern Europe: A Study of nine countries, 1994-2001”," Working Papers 22, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Driffill, John & Sola, Martin, 1998. "Intrinsic bubbles and regime-switching," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 357-373, July.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Hamilton, James D & Gang, Lin, 1996. "Stock Market Volatility and the Business Cycle," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 573-93, Sept.-Oct.
- Hamilton, James D. & Susmel, Raul, 1994.
"Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity and changes in regime,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 307-333.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate Hamilton-Susmel Markov Switching ARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00083, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cull, Robert & Matesova, Jana & Shirley, Mary, 2002. "Ownership and the Temptation to Loot: Evidence from Privatized Firms in the Czech Republic," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cer:papers:wp294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.