Prediction and Sufficiency in the Model Factor Analysis
We contrast two approaches to the prediction of latent variables in the model of factor analysis. The likelihood statistic is a sufficient statistic for the unobservables when sampling arises from the exponential family of distributions. Linear predictors, on the other hand, can be obtained as distribution-free statistics. We provide conditions under which a class of linear predictors is sufficient for the exponential family of distributions. We also examine various predictors in the light of the following criteria: (I) sufficiency, (ii) mean-square error, and (iii) unbiasedness and illustrate our results with the help of Chinese data on living standards.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521471626 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ramses H. Abul Naga, 1994.
"Identifying the Poor: A Multiple Indicator Approach,"
STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers
09, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga, 1994. "Identifying the poor: a multiple indicator approach," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6621, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Garratt, Anthony & Hall, Stephen G, 1996. "Measuring Underlying Economic Activity," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 135-51, March-Apr.
- van Praag, Bernard M S & Hagenaars, Aldi J M & van Eck, Wim, 1983. "The Influence of Classification and Observation Errors on the Measurement of Income Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1093-108, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521405515 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521477451 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zimmerman, David J, 1992. "Regression toward Mediocrity in Economic Stature," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 409-29, June.
- Wegge, Leon L., 1996. "Local identifiability of the factor analysis and measurement error model parameter," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 351-382, February.
- Abul Naga, Ramses & Antille, Gerard, 1990. "Stability of robust and non-robust principal components analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 169-174, October.
- Chamberlain, Gary & Griliches, Zvi, 1975. "Unobservables with a Variance-Components Structure: Ability, Schooling, and the Economic Success of Brothers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(2), pages 422-49, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521477444 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stidar:31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.