The Extent and Nature of Establishment Level Diversification in Sixteen U.S. Manufacturing Industries
This paper examines the heterogeneity of establishments in sixteen manufacturing industries. Basic statistical measures are used to decompose product diversification at the establishment level into industry, firm, and establishment effects. The industry effect is the weakest; nearly all the observed heterogeneity is establishment specific. Product diversification at the establishment level is idiosyncratic to the firm. Establishments within a firm exhibit a significant degree of homogeneity, although the grouping of products differ across firms. With few exceptions, economies of scope and scale in production appear to play a minor role in the establishment's mix of outputs.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4600 Silver Hill Road, Washington, DC 20233|
Phone: (301) 763-6460
Fax: (301) 763-5935
Web page: http://www.census.gov/ces
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert H Mcguckin & George A Pascoe, 1988. "The Longitudinal Research Database (LRD): Status And Research Possibilities," Working Papers 88-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Michael Gort, 1962. "Diversification and Integration in American Industry," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gort62-1, February.
- Charles H. Berry, 1974. "Corporate Diversification and Market Structure," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(1), pages 196-204, Spring.
- Gorecki, Paul K, 1974. "The Measurement of Enterprise Diversification," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 399-401, August.
- Goto, Akira, 1981. "Statistical Evidence on the Diversification of Japanese Large Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 271-78, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cen:wpaper:90-8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.