Enhancing corporate governance with one-and two-tiered convertible preferred stock
This paper sets out a proposal by which two distinctive and new types of preferred stock (one- and two-tiered convertibles) could be used to sharpen up a company's governance. Firstly, the framework of analysis for standard preferreds will be outlined, mainly their valuation, underlying incremental cash flows, control rights and contractual features. Secondly, one - and two - tiered convertible preferred are introduced, setting up their financial design, how they convey control rights and contractual characteristics, and giving heed to a simple valuation for those preferreds. Last of all, it will be shown how the one- and twotiered convertibles come in handy to deal with some particular governance topics: capital structure, debt refinancing and compensation schemes for management.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal|
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:bla:joares:v:37:y:1999:i:2:p:249-274 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oliver Hart, 2001.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1079-1100, December.
- Oliver Hart, 2001. "Financial Contracting," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1924, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Oliver Hart, 2001. "Financial Contracting," NBER Working Papers 8285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- H. Lawrence Wilsey, 1947. "The Use Of Sinking Funds In Preferred Stock Issues," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 2(2), pages 31-42, October.
- Arnold R. Cowan, 1996. "Convertible Exchangeable Preferred Stock," Finance 9606001, EconWPA, revised 12 Aug 1996.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2002. "Incremental cash flows, information sets and conflicts of interest," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 220, Universidad del CEMA.
- Sorensen, Eric H. & Hawkins, Clark A., 1981. "On the Pricing of Preferred Stock," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 515-528, November.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2002. "How corporate governance and globalization can run afoul of the law and good practices in business: The Enron's disgraceful affair," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 225, Universidad del CEMA.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2003. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(2), pages 281-315.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," CRSP working papers 513, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Kaplan, Steven & Strömberg, Per Johan, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets The Real World: An Empirical Analysis Of Venture Capital Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 2421, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," NBER Working Papers 7660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2003. "THE SEMANTICS OF GOVERNANCE. (The common thread running through corporate, public, and global governance.)," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 245, Universidad del CEMA.
- Keith D. Harvey & M. Cary Collins & James W. Wansley, 2003. "The Impact of Trust-Preferred Issuance on Bank Default Risk and Cash Flow: Evidence from the Debt and Equity Securities Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 38(2), pages 235-256, 05.
- Britten-Jones, Mark, 1998. "Fixed Income and Interest Rate Derivative Analysis," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780750640121. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:doctra:260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.