Enhancing corporate governance with one-and two-tiered convertible preferred stock
This paper sets out a proposal by which two distinctive and new types of preferred stock (one- and two-tiered convertibles) could be used to sharpen up a company's governance. Firstly, the framework of analysis for standard preferreds will be outlined, mainly their valuation, underlying incremental cash flows, control rights and contractual features. Secondly, one - and two - tiered convertible preferred are introduced, setting up their financial design, how they convey control rights and contractual characteristics, and giving heed to a simple valuation for those preferreds. Last of all, it will be shown how the one- and twotiered convertibles come in handy to deal with some particular governance topics: capital structure, debt refinancing and compensation schemes for management.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal|
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Hart, 2001.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1079-1100, December.
- Oliver Hart, 2001. "Financial Contracting," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1924, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Oliver Hart, 2001. "Financial Contracting," NBER Working Papers 8285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- H. Lawrence Wilsey, 1947. "The Use Of Sinking Funds In Preferred Stock Issues," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 2(2), pages 31-42, October.
- Arnold R. Cowan, 1996. "Convertible Exchangeable Preferred Stock," Finance 9606001, EconWPA, revised 12 Aug 1996.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2002. "Incremental cash flows, information sets and conflicts of interest," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 220, Universidad del CEMA.
- Sorensen, Eric H. & Hawkins, Clark A., 1981. "On the Pricing of Preferred Stock," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 515-528, November.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2002. "How corporate governance and globalization can run afoul of the law and good practices in business: The Enron's disgraceful affair," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 225, Universidad del CEMA.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2003. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(2), pages 281-315.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," NBER Working Papers 7660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplan, Steven & Strömberg, Per Johan, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets The Real World: An Empirical Analysis Of Venture Capital Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 2421, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," CRSP working papers 513, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2003. "THE SEMANTICS OF GOVERNANCE. (The common thread running through corporate, public, and global governance.)," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 245, Universidad del CEMA.
- Keith D. Harvey & M. Cary Collins & James W. Wansley, 2003. "The Impact of Trust-Preferred Issuance on Bank Default Risk and Cash Flow: Evidence from the Debt and Equity Securities Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 38(2), pages 235-256, 05. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:doctra:260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.