Corporate Governance in Argentina - New Developments through 1991-2000
This paper develops and provide evidence for three statements: a) In Argentina, there has been a marked shift in corporate governance structure from big family-owned domestic companies towards foreign groups and investment funds ownership. b)While coping with governance issues, Argentina has been performing as if it were following the common law countries tradition. c) The capital markets development has been nurturing contradictory forces which could bring about alternative governance structures in the foreseeable future. To ground these statements on facts, we previously survey corporate governance issues in Argentina before 1991, the underlying legal framework, the new rules of the game in capital structure and ownership as from 1991, largely due to a wave of privatizations, restructuring, mergers and acquisitions that has taken place through the last decade.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal|
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark S. Carey & Stephen D. Prowse & John Rea & Gregory F. Udell, 1993. "The economics of the private placement market," Staff Studies 166, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1991. "Economic Perspectives on Privatization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 111-132, Spring.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1986.
"Large Shareholders and Corporate Control,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 461-88, June.
- Wendy Carlin & Colin Mayer, 2002.
"International Evidence on Corporate Governance: Lessons for Developing Countries,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 11(suppl_1), pages 37-59, February.
- Wendy Carlin & Colin Mayer, 2000. "International Evidence On Corporate Governance: Lessons For Developing Countries," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 2(2), pages 133-160.
- Garrido, Celso & Peres Núñez, Wilson, 1998. "Big Latin American industrial companies and groups," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), December.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Luigi Zingales, 1997.
NBER Working Papers
6309, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric S. Maskin, 1999. "Recent Theoretical Work on the Soft Budget Constraint," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 421-425, May.
- Pagano, Marco & Panetta, Fabio & Zingales, Luigi, 1996.
"Why Do Companies Go Public? An Empirical Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1332, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Pagano & Fabio Panetta & Luigi Zingales, 1995. "Why Do Companies Go Public? An Empirical Analysis," NBER Working Papers 5367, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Pagano & Fabio Panetta & Luigi Zingales, . "Why Do Companies Go Public? An Empirical Analysis," CRSP working papers 330, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 1999. "A Corporate Finance Cash Flow model with Float," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 142, Universidad del CEMA.
- Guofu Tan & Justin Yifu Lin, 1999. "Policy Burdens, Accountability, and the Soft Budget Constraint," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 426-431, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:doctra:154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.