Spatiotemporal Effects of Segregating Different Vehicle Classes on Separate Lanes
Spatiotemporal analysis of real freeway traffic reveals that carpool lanes are not as damaging as previously reported. To the contrary, the analysis unveils a surprising benefit of carpool lanes that should be even greater when special lanes are used to segregate very different vehicle classes, such as buses and cars. The paper pursues this finding and shows how reserving lanes on freeways and city streets for bus-use only can favorably affect not just buses, but also cars.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 109 McLaughlin Hall, Mail Code 1720, Berkeley, CA 94720-1720|
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/its/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Munoz, Juan Carlos & Daganzo, Carlos F, 2002. "Fingerprinting Traffic From Static Freeway Sensors," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt1mf4n2w8, University of California Transportation Center.
- Menendez, Monica & Daganzo, Carlos F., 2007. "Effects of HOV lanes on freeway bottlenecks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 809-822, October.
- Daganzo, Carlos F. & Cassidy, Michael J., 2008. "Effects of high occupancy vehicle lanes on freeway congestion," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(10), pages 861-872, December.
- Daganzo, Carlos F., 2007. "Urban gridlock: Macroscopic modeling and mitigation approaches," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 49-62, January.
- Cassidy, Michael J. & Daganzo, Carlos F. & Jang, Kitae & Chung, Koohong, 2006. "Empirical Reassessment of Traffic Operations: Freeway Bottlenecks and the Case for HOV Lanes," Institute of Transportation Studies, Research Reports, Working Papers, Proceedings qt31h8z81t, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Cassidy, Michael J. & Rudjanakanoknad, Jittichai, 2005. "Increasing the capacity of an isolated merge by metering its on-ramp," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 896-913, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:itsrrp:qt6c69j2vv. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.