Poverty and the Environment-Exploring the Relationship between Household Incomes, Private Assets and Natural Assets
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Urvashi Narain & Shreekant Gupta & Klaas van ’t Veld, 2008. "Poverty and the Environment: Exploring the Relationship Between Household Incomes, Private Assets, and Natural Assets," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(1), pages 148-167.
- Shreekant Gupta & Urvashi Narain & Klaas Van't Veld, 2010. "Poverty and the Environment: Exploring the Relationship between Household Incomes, Private Assets, and Natural Assets," Working Papers id:2700, eSocialSciences.
- Narain, Urvashi & van 't Veld, Klaas & Gupta, Shreekant, 2005. "Poverty and the Environment: Exploring the Relationship between Household Incomes, Private Assets, and Natural Assets," Discussion Papers dp-05-18, Resources For the Future.
References listed on IDEAS
- Reddy, S. R. C. & Chakravarty, S. P., 1999. "Forest Dependence and Income Distribution in a Subsistence Economy: Evidence from India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1141-1149, July.
- Beck, Tony & Nesmith, Cathy, 2001. "Building on Poor People's Capacities: The Case of Common Property Resources in India and West Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 119-133, January.
- Reardon, Thomas & Vosti, Stephen A., 1995. "Links between rural poverty and the environment in developing countries: Asset categories and investment poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1495-1506, September.
- Duraiappah, Anantha K., 1998. "Poverty and environmental degradation: A review and analysis of the nexus," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2169-2179, December.
- Adhikari, Bhim, 2005. "Poverty, property rights and collective action: understanding the distributive aspects of common property resource management," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 7-31, February.
- Adhikari, Bhim & Di Falco, Salvatore & Lovett, Jon C., 2004. "Household characteristics and forest dependency: evidence from common property forest management in Nepal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 245-257, February.
- Fisher, Monica, 2004. "Household welfare and forest dependence in Southern Malawi," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 135-154, May.
- Edward B. Barbier, 2005. "Natural Resource-Based Economic Development in History," World Economics, World Economics, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 6(3), pages 103-152, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thondhlana, Gladman & Muchapondwa, Edwin, 2014.
"Dependence on environmental resources and implications for household welfare: Evidence from the Kalahari drylands, South Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 59-67.
- Gladman Thondhlana and Edwin Muchapondwa, 2013. "Dependence on Environmental Resources and Implications for Household Welfare: Evidence from the Kalahari Drylands, South Africa," Working Papers 370, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Parvin Sultana, 2011. "Implications of floodplain aquaculture enclosure," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 55(9), pages 1159-1174, October.
- Bir Chhetri & Helle Larsen & Carsten Smith-Hall, 2015. "Environmental resources reduce income inequality and the prevalence, depth and severity of poverty in rural Nepal," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 513-530, June.
- Eskander, Shaikh M.S.U. & Barbier, Edward B., 2017.
"Tenure Security, Human Capital and Soil Conservation in an Overlapping Generation Rural Economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 135(C), pages 176-185.
- Eskander, Shaikh M.S.U. & Barbier, Edward B., 2017. "Tenure security, human capital and soil conservation in an overlapping generation rural economy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 69196, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- López-Feldman, Alejandro, 2014. "Shocks, Income and Wealth: Do They Affect the Extraction of Natural Resources by Rural Households?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 64(S1), pages 91-100.
- World Bank, 2007. "Poverty and Environment : Understanding Linkages at the Household Level," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7744, The World Bank.
- Naidu, Sirisha C., 2011. "Access to benefits from forest commons in the Western Himalayas," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 202-210.
- Glenk, Klaus & Barkmann, Jan & Schwarze, Stefan & Zeller, Manfred & Marggraf, Rainer, 2006. "Differential Influence of Relative Poverty on Preferences for Ecosystem Services: Evidence from Rural Indonesia," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25681, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anthon, Signe & Lund, Jens Friis & Helles, Finn, 2008. "Targeting the poor: Taxation of marketed forest products in developing countries," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 197-224, June.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:10:y:2018:i:6:p:1888-:d:150795 is not listed on IDEAS
- Belcher, Brian M., 2005. "Forest Product Markets, Forests and Poverty Reduction," 2005: Forests, Wood and Livelihoods: Finding a Future for All, 16 August 2005 124400, Crawford Fund.
- Eskander, Shaikh M.S.U & Barbier, Edward B., 2015. "Tenure security and soil conservation in an overlapping generation rural economy," 2015 AAEA & WAEA Joint Annual Meeting, July 26-28, San Francisco, California 205225, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- van 't Veld, Klaas & Narain, Urvashi & Gupta, Shreekant & Chopra, Neetu & Singh, Supriya, 2006. "India's Firewood Crisis Re-examined," Discussion Papers 10591, Resources for the Future.
- Antoci, Angelo & Russu, Paolo & Ticci, Elisa, 2009.
"Distributive impact of structural change: Does environmental degradation matter?,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 266-278, December.
- Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu & Elisa Ticci, 2008. "Distributive impact of structural change: does environmental degradation matter?," Working Papers - Economics wp2008_07.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Babulo, Bedru & Muys, Bart & Nega, Fredu & Tollens, Eric & Nyssen, Jan & Deckers, Jozef & Mathijs, Erik, 2009. "The economic contribution of forest resource use to rural livelihoods in Tigray, Northern Ethiopia," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 123-131, March.
- World Bank, 2007. "Poverty and Environment : Understanding Linkages at the Household Level," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6924, December.
- repec:ris:badest:0566 is not listed on IDEAS
- Taruvinga, Amon & Mushunje, Abbyssinia, 2012. "Buffer zone income dynamics for the sub-district producer community: Implications for rural off-farm income, income inequality and the development of household agriculture," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126377, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kyriaki Remoundou & Fikret Adaman & Phoebe Koundouri & Paulo Nunes, 2014. "Is the value of environmental goods sensitive to the public funding scheme? Evidence from a marine restoration programme in the Black Sea," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 47(4), pages 1173-1192, December.
- World Bank, 2005. "India : Unlocking Opportunities for Forest-Dependent People in India, Volume 2, Appendixes," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8414, The World Bank.
- Shaikh M.S.U. Eskander & Edward B. Barbier & Benjamin Gilbert, 2018.
"Fishing and Nonfishing Income Decisions: The Role of Human Capital and Family Structure,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 94(1), pages 114-136.
- Eskander, Shaikh M.S.U. & Barbier, Edward B. & Gilbert, Ben, 2018. "Fishing and non-fishing income decisions: the role of human capital and family structure," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 74318, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Robinson, Elizabeth J.Z. & Lokina, Razack B., 2011. "A spatial-temporal analysis of the impact of access restrictions on forest landscapes and household welfare in Tanzania," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 79-85, January.
- Adam, Y.O. & Eltayeb, A.M., 2016. "Forestry decentralization and poverty alleviation: A review," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 300-307.
- repec:eee:ecoser:v:14:y:2015:i:c:p:56-66 is not listed on IDEAS
- van 't Veld, Klaas & Narain, Urvashi & Gupta, Shreekant & Chopra, Neetu & Singh, Supriya, 2006. "India's Firewood Crisis Re-examined," Discussion Papers dp-06-25, Resources For the Future.
More about this item
KeywordsIndia; Madhya Pradesh; poverty; environment; common-pool natural resources; rural households;
- Q2 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- O13 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2005-08-28 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2005-08-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2005-08-28 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2005-08-28 (Development)
- NEP-ENV-2005-08-28 (Environmental Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cde:cdewps:134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sanjeev Sharma). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/cdudein.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.