Theoretical Simulation in Health Economics: An application to Grossman's Model of Investment in Health Capital
In this paper we argue on the merits of theoretical simulation, a widely used technique in other areas of theoretical economics, to extending the phase diagram analysis of the Grossman's 1972 model of investment in health capital. We argue that theoretical simulations are particularly useful when considering problems with multiple state variables. To illustrate, we perform simulations with varying assumptions of health depreciation rates and conditional survival probabilities and generate time-plots for the evolution of health capital and health investments over individual finite lifetimes.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2014|
|Publication status:||Published Online, June 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 155 College Street, 4th Floor, Toronto, ON M5T 3M6|
Web page: http://www.canadiancentreforhealtheconomics.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Grossman, 1972. "The Demand for Health: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gros72-1.
- Carbone, Jared C. & Kverndokk, Snorre, 2014.
"Individual investments in education and health,"
HERO On line Working Paper Series
2014:1, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Snorre Kverndokk & Jared C. Carbone, 2015. "Individual Investments in Education and Health," CINCH Working Paper Series 1506, Universitaet Duisburg-Essen, Competent in Competition and Health, revised Jun 2015.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Chuma, Hiroyuki, 1990. "A Model of the Demand for Longevity and the Value of Life Extension," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(4), pages 761-782, August.
- Forster, Bruce A, 1989. "Optimal Health Investment Strategies," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 45-57, January.
- Forster, Martin, 2001. "The meaning of death: some simulations of a model of healthy and unhealthy consumption," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 613-638, July.
- Eisenring, Christoph, 1999. "Comparative dynamics in a health investment model," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 653-658, October.
- Oniki, Hajime, 1973. "Comparative dynamics (sensitivity analysis) in optimal control theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 265-283, June.
- Ried, Walter, 1998. "Comparative dynamic analysis of the full Grossman model," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 383-425, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cch:wpaper:140010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrian Rohit Dass)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.