A Note on the Practice of Lagging Variables to Avoid Simultaneity
A common practice in applied econometrics consists of replacing a suspected endogenous variable with its lagged values. This note demonstrates that lagging an endogen¬ous variable does not enable one to escape simultaneity bias. The associated estimates are still inconsistent, and hypothesis testing is invalid. I show that the only time a strategy of replacing Xt with Xt-1 enables consistent estimation of structural parameters is when there is no simultaneity to begin with. The implication of this study is that researchers who employ this practice should be explicit about why lagging is an effective estimation strategy.
|Date of creation:||16 Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand|
Phone: 64 3 369 3123 (Administrator)
Fax: 64 3 364 2635
Web page: http://www.econ.canterbury.ac.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hayo, Bernd & Kutan, Ali M. & Neuenkirch, Matthias, 2010.
"The impact of U.S. central bank communication on European and pacific equity markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 172-174, August.
- Bernd Hayo & Ali M. Kutan & Matthias Neuenkirch, 2009. "The Impact of U.S. Central Bank Communication on European and Pacific Equity Markets," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200927, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Birgit Aschhoff & Tobias Schmidt, 2008. "Empirical Evidence on the Success of R&D Cooperation—Happy Together?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 33(1), pages 41-62, August.
- Aschhoff, Birgit & Schmidt, Tobias, 2006. "Empirical evidence on the success of R&D co-operation: Happy together?," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-59, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Cynthia Bansak & Norman Morin & Martha Starr, 2007. "Technology, Capital Spending, And Capacity Utilization," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 45(3), pages 631-645, 07.
- Cynthia Bansak & Norman J. Morin & Martha Starr-McCluer, 2004. "Technology, capital spending, and capacity utilization," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-30, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Joel Stiebale, 2011. "Do Financial Constraints Matter for Foreign Market Entry? A Firm‐level Examination," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 123-153, 01.
- Stiebale, Joel, 2008. "Do Financial Constraints Matter for Foreign Market Entry? – A Firm-Level Examination," Ruhr Economic Papers 51, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Michael A. Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil R. Bhavnani & Samuel Bazzi, 2012. "Counting Chickens when they Hatch: Timing and the Effects of Aid on Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(561), pages 590-617, 06.
- Antonio Spilimbergo, 2009. "Democracy and Foreign Education," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 528-543, March.
- Spilimbergo, Antonio, 2006. "Democracy and Foreign Education," CEPR Discussion Papers 5934, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antonio Spilimbergo, 2007. "Democracy and Foreign Education," IMF Working Papers 07/51, International Monetary Fund.
- Bania, Neil & Gray, Jo Anna & Stone, Joe A., 2007. "Growth, Taxes, and Government Expenditures: Growth Hills for U.S. States," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 60(2), pages 193-204, June.
- Richard K. Green & Stephen Malpezzi & Stephen K. Mayo, 2005. "Metropolitan-Specific Estimates of the Price Elasticity of Supply of Housing, and Their Sources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 334-339, May.
- Richard K. Green & Stephen Malpezzi & Stephen K. Mayo, 1999. "Metropolitan-Specific Estimates of the Price Elasticity of Supply of Housing, and Their Sources," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 99-16, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-1426, November.
- R. Vergara, 2010. "Taxation and private investment: evidence for Chile," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 717-725.
- Rodrigo Vergara, 2004. "Taxation and Private Investment: Evidence for Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 268, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Cornett, Marcia Millon & Marcus, Alan J. & Saunders, Anthony & Tehranian, Hassan, 2007. "The impact of institutional ownership on corporate operating performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1771-1794, June.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991. "Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbt:econwp:13/32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Albert Yee)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.