Dynamic capabilities: evolving organisations in evolving (technological) systems
This paper aims at exploring the nature and the determinants of the dynamic capabilities of the firm: a notion which, while increasingly more fashionable, remains still conceptually diffuse. Through a critical review of the massive and heterogeneous literature which refers, either explicitly or implicitly, to dynamic capabilities in explaining the dynamic performances of the firm, the paper detects a certain gap between an organizational and an environmental kind of approach to the issue. The nature of the firm and that of the firm environment are in fact focused on alternatively, thus implying a dynamic capabilities analysis which turns out to be biased. The pros and the cons of a combined approach, which tries to integrate the two, are shown and contrasted to a more satisfactory approach, which deal with the firm as a system operating within an institutional setting of techno-economic relationships, i.e. a technological system.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via dei Caniana, 2 - 24127 BERGAMO|
Phone: 0039 035 2052111
Web page: http://www.unibg.it/struttura/en_struttura.asp?cerca=en_dse_intro
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iansiti, Marco, 1995. "Technology integration: Managing technological evolution in a complex environment," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 521-542, July.
- Foss, Nicolai J., 1998.
"The resource-based perspective: An assessment and diagnosis of problems,"
Scandinavian Journal of Management,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 133-149, March.
- Nicolai J. Foss, 1997. "The Resource-Based Perspective An Assessment and Diagnosis of Problems," DRUID Working Papers 97-1, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Breschi, Stefano & Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 2000. "Technological Regimes and Schumpeterian Patterns of Innovation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 388-410, April.
- Ted Fuller & Paul Moran, 2001. "Small enterprises as complex adaptive systems: a methodological question?," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 47-63, January.
- Andersen, E S, 1991. "Techno-economic Paradigms as Typical Interfaces between Producers and Users," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 119-44, April.
- Malerba, Franco, et al, 1999. "'History-Friendly' Models of Industry Evolution: The Computer Industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 3-40, March.
- Marengo, Luigi, et al, 2000.
"The Structure of Problem-Solving Knowledge and the Structure of Organizations,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 9(4), pages 757-88, December.
- Luigi Marengo & Giovanni Dosi & Paolo Legrenzi & Corrado Pasquali, 1999. "The structure of problem-solving knowledge and the structure of organisations," LEM Papers Series 1999/09, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F., 1989. "The timing of innovation: Research, development, and diffusion," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 849-908 Elsevier.
- Arthur, W Brian, 1989. "Competing Technologies, Increasing Returns, and Lock-In by Historical Events," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(394), pages 116-31, March.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1997. "Technological Regimes and Sectoral Patterns of Innovative Activities," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 83-117.
- Metcalfe, J S, 1995. "Technology Systems and Technology Policy in an Evolutionary Framework," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 25-46, February.
- Leoncini, Riccardo, 1998. "The nature of long-run technological change: innovation, evolution and technological systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 75-93, May.
- P Cooke & M G Uranga & G Etxebarria, 1998. "Regional Systems of Innovation: An Evolutionary Perspective," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 30(9), pages 1563-1584, September.
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:brg:wpaper:0304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (University of Bergamo Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.