R&D for Quality Improvement and Network Externalities
We investigate the bearings of network externalities on product quality im- provements requiring costly R&D investments. The model considers the dynamic behaviour of a monopolist alternatively maximising profits or social welfare. On the one hand, we confirm much of the acquired wisdom from the static literature on the same topic, about the arising of quality undersupply at the private optimum. On the other, we identify the initial conditions that must be met for R&D activity to be observed under profit-seeking behaviour. We also show that the presence of network externalities affects the optimal behaviour of the profit-seeking firm but not that of a benevolent planner, who serves all consumers and smooths the R&D costs leading to a steady state quality which is independent of network concerns.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "Monopoly, Quality, and Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 417-429, Autumn.
- Itoh, Motoshige, 1983. "Monopoly, product differentiation and economic welfare," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 88-104, October.
- Cabral, Luis M. B. & Salant, David J. & Woroch, Glenn A., 1999.
"Monopoly pricing with network externalities,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 199-214, February.
- Champsaur, Paul & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1989.
Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 533-57, May.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- David Besanko & Shabtai Donnenfeld & Lawrence J. White, 1987. "Monopoly and Quality Distortion: Effects and Remedies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(4), pages 743-767.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, Jean & Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1986. "Segmenting the market: The monopolist's optimal product mix," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 273-289, August.
- Luca Lambertini & Raimondello Orsini, 2007.
"Network externalities in a dynamic monopoly,"
Central European Journal of Operations Research,
Springer;Slovak Society for Operations Research;Hungarian Operational Research Society;Czech Society for Operations Research;Österr. Gesellschaft für Operations Research (ÖGOR);Slovenian Society Informatika - Section for Operational Research;Croatian Operational Research Society, vol. 15(1), pages 105-117, March.
- Gustav Feichtinger & Richard F. Hartl & Suresh P. Sethi, 1994. "Dynamic Optimal Control Models in Advertising: Recent Developments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(2), pages 195-226, February.
- Luca Lambertini & Raimondello Orsini, 2001. "Network Externalities and the Overprovision of Quality by a Monopolist," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 969-982, April.
- L. Lambertini & R. Orsini, 1998. "Monopoly, Quality, and Network Externalities," Working Papers 334, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:516. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Task Force CeSIA DSE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.