Decomposing the predictive performance of the moving average trading rule of technical analysis: the contribution of linear and non linear dependencies in stock returns
On several occasions technical analysis rules have been shown to have predictive power. The main purpose of this work is to decompose the predictive power of the moving average trading rule and isolate the portion that could be attributed to the possible exploitation of linear and non linear dependencies in stock returns. Data for the General Index of the Athens Stock Exchange are filtered using linear filters so that the resulting simulated “returns” exhibit no serial correlation. Applying moving average trading rules to both the original and the simulated indices and using a statistical testing procedure that takes into account the sensitivity of the performance of the trading rule as a function of moving average length, it is found that the predictive power of the trading rule is clearly weakened when applied to the simulated index indicating that a substantial part of the rule’s predictive power is due to the exploitation of linear dependencies in stock returns. It is also found that the contribution of linear dependencies in stock returns to the performance of the trading rule is increased for shorter moving average lengths.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2008.
"Market Efficiency and the Euro: The case of the Athens Stock exchange,"
Discussion Paper Series
2008_14, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Dec 2008.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Market efficiency and the Euro: the case of the Athens stock exchange," Empirica, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 237-251, July.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2005. "Market Efficiency and the Euro: The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Finance 0507022, EconWPA.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2003. "Market Efficiency and the Euro:The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 03-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2003. "Market Efficiency and the Euro:The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Public Policy Discussion Papers 03-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Olson, Dennis, 2004. "Have trading rule profits in the currency markets declined over time?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 85-105, January.
- Neftci, Salih N, 1991. "Naive Trading Rules in Financial Markets and Wiener-Kolmogorov Prediction Theory: A Study of "Technical Analysis."," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(4), pages 549-71, October.
- Alexandros Milionis & Evangelia Papanagiotou, 2009. "A study of the predictive performance of the moving average trading rule as applied to NYSE, the Athens Stock Exchange and the Vienna Stock Exchange: sensitivity analysis and implications for weak-for," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(14), pages 1171-1186.
- Alexandros E. Milionis & Evangelia Papanagiotou, 2008. "On the Use of the Moving Average Trading Rule to Test for Weak Form Efficiency in Capital Markets," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 37(2), pages 181-201, 07.
- Fang, Yue & Xu, Daming, 2003. "The predictability of asset returns: an approach combining technical analysis and time series forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 369-385.
- F. FernAndez-RodrIguez & S. Sosvilla-Rivero & J. Andrada-FElix, 2003. "Technical analysis in foreign exchange markets: evidence from the EMS," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 113-122.
- Ki-Yeol Kwon & Richard Kish, 2002. "Technical trading strategies and return predictability: NYSE," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(9), pages 639-653.
- Dolado, Juan J & Jenkinson, Tim & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1990. " Cointegration and Unit Roots," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 249-73.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bog:wpaper:134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.