Illiquidity, insolvency, and banking regulation
This paper provides a compact framework for banking regulation analysis in the presence of uncertainty between systemic liquidity and solvency shocks. It explains the asset price anomalies and bank lending freeze during the crisis. The paper shows how the coexistence of illiquidity and insolvency problems adds extra cost for banking regulation, making conventional regulatory policies fail, and why the unconventional central bank policy encourages moral hazard. A banking tax is proposed to cover the extra regulatory cost, and the regulatory cost can also be reduced by combining the advantages of several instruments.
|Date of creation:||21 Nov 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postboks 1179 Sentrum, 0107 Oslo|
Phone: +47 22 31 60 00
Fax: +47 22 41 31 05
Web page: http://www.norges-bank.no/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acharya, Viral V., 2009.
"A theory of systemic risk and design of prudential bank regulation,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 224-255, September.
- Acharya, Viral V, 2009. "A Theory of Systemic Risk and Design of Prudential Bank Regulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 7164, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick Bolton & Tano Santos & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2011.
"Outside and Inside Liquidity,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 259-321.
- Patrick Bolton & Tano Santos & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2009. "Outside and Inside Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 14867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Bolton & Tano Santos & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2010. "Outside And Inside Liquidity," Working Papers 1395, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Econometric Research Program..
- Viral V. Acharya & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2008. "Cash-in-the-Market Pricing and Optimal Resolution of Bank Failures," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(6), pages 2705-2742, November.Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
- Viral Acharya & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2007. "Cash-in-the-market pricing and optimal resolution of bank failures," Bank of England working papers 328, Bank of England.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bno:worpap:2011_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.