Illiquidity, insolvency, and banking regulation
This paper provides a compact framework for banking regulation analysis in the presence of uncertainty between systemic liquidity and solvency shocks. Extending the work by Cao & Illing (2009a, b), it is shown that systemic liquidity shortage arises endogenously as part of the inferior mixed strategy equilibrium. The paper compares dierent traditional regulatory policies which intend to fix the ineciencies, and argues that the co-existence of illiquidity and insolvency problems adds extra cost for banking regulation and makes some schemes that are optimal under pure illiquidity risks (such as liquidity regulation with lender of last resort policy) fail. The regulatory cost can be minimized by combining the advantages of several instruments.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstr. 28, 80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Bolton & Tano Santos & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2011.
"Outside and Inside Liquidity,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 259-321.
- Patrick Bolton & Tano Santos & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2009. "Outside and Inside Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 14867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Bolton & Tano Santos & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2010. "Outside And Inside Liquidity," Working Papers 1395, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Econometric Research Program..
- Viral Acharya & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2007.
"Cash-in-the-market pricing and optimal resolution of bank failures,"
Bank of England working papers
328, Bank of England.
- Viral V. Acharya & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2008. "Cash-in-the-Market Pricing and Optimal Resolution of Bank Failures," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(6), pages 2705-2742, November.
- Acharya, Viral V., 2009.
"A theory of systemic risk and design of prudential bank regulation,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 224-255, September.
- Acharya, Viral V, 2009. "A Theory of Systemic Risk and Design of Prudential Bank Regulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 7164, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lmu:muenec:11370. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamilla Benkelberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.