False Consciousness in Financial Markets: Or is it in Ivory Towers?
In general, models in finance assume that investors are risk averse. An example of such a recent model is the pioneering work of Aumann and Serrano, which presents an economic index of riskiness of gambles which is independent of wealth and holds (as might be understood from the adjective “economic”) for exclusively risk averse investors. In their paper, they discuss gambles with positive expected returns which will be accepted or rejected by agents which different levels of risk aversion. The question never asked by the authors (and in most of the finance literature) is: Who is offering these attractive gambles? To arrive at an answer, we extend the Aumann-Serrano risk index in such a way that it accommodates gambles with either positive or negative expectations and is thus suitable for both the risk averse and risk lovers. Once we allow for the existence of risk lovers, it may be shown that in financial markets, many gambles with negative expectations are taken either knowingly or unknowingly so that there are always people that act as if they are risk lovers. The paper concludes with a brief discussion of the implications of our result, in particular that gambling is by no means restricted to the casino or the track.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: Phone: +972-3-5318345
Web page: http://www.biu.ac.il/soc/ec
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Serrano & Robert J. Aumann, 2007.
"An Economic Index Of Riskiness,"
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000836, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2006. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Working Papers 2006-20, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2006. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000585, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An economic index of riskiness," Working Papers 2007-08, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Discussion Paper Series dp446, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Milton Friedman & L. J. Savage, 1948. "The Utility Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 279.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:biu:wpaper:2011-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.