Islamic finance and conventional financial systems. Market trends, supervisory perspectives and implications for central banking activity
The paper analyses Islamic finance from the central bank and supervisory authorityï¿½s perspective, focusing on the European and Italian context. It depicts a rapidly expanding sector, with recent annual growth rates of between 10 and 15 percent and a geographical presence that now reaches several Western countries. Future prospects, however, could be hampered by problems concerning the standardization of products, governance structure, supervisory regulation, monetary policy instruments, and liquidity management. Islamic intermediaries are not necessarily riskier than traditional counterparts but their operational structure tends to be more complex. Key issues in supervision include the treatment of investment accounts and transparency. It has been seen that there are limits to the efficiency of the monetary policy instruments developed so far to remedy the prohibition of interest; moreover, the growth of interbank and money markets is hindered by a shortage of "Shari'ah-compliant" products. Problems arising from the participation of Islamic banks in payment systems are also discussed.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohsin S. Khan, 1986. "Islamic Interest-Free Banking: A Theoretical Analysis (Le systÃ¨me bancaire islamique: analyse thÃ©orique d'un systÃ¨me qui ne fait pas appel Ã l'intÃ©rÃªt) (La prohibiciÃ³n islÃ¡mica de los intereses," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(1), pages 1-27, March.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Islamic Financial Institutions and Products in the Global Financial System; Key Issues in Risk Management and Challenges Ahead," IMF Working Papers 02/192, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1984.
"The Simple Macroeconomics of Profit Sharing,"
357, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Haque, Nadeem ul & Mirakhor, Abbas, 1999. "The Design of Instruments For Government Finance in An Islamic Economy," MPRA Paper 56028, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andreas Jobst, 2007. "The Economics of Islamic Finance and Securitization," IMF Working Papers 07/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Amadou N. R. Sy & Peter Kunzel & Paul S. Mills & Andreas Jobst, 2008.
"Islamic Bond Issuance; What Sovereign Debt Managers Need to Know,"
IMF Policy Discussion Papers
08/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Andreas Jobst & Peter Kunzel & Paul Mills & Amadou Sy, 2008. "Islamic bond issuance: what sovereign debt managers need to know," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(4), pages 330-344, November.
- International Monetary Fund, 1998. "The Design of Instruments for Government Finance in an Islamic Economy," IMF Working Papers 98/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2002.
"People's Opium? Religion and Economic Attitudes,"
NBER Working Papers
9237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luca Errico & Mitra Farahbaksh, 1998. "Islamic Banking; Issues in Prudential Regulations and Supervision," IMF Working Papers 98/30, International Monetary Fund.
- Faezeh Raei & Selim Cakir, 2007. "Sukuk vs. Eurobonds; Is There a Difference in Value-at-Risk?," IMF Working Papers 07/237, International Monetary Fund.
- Jemma Dridi & Maher Hasan, 2010. "The Effects of the Global Crisison Islamic and Conventional Banks; A Comparative Study," IMF Working Papers 10/201, International Monetary Fund.
- Pauletto Livio, 2005. "Lo sviluppo della pratica finanziaria islamica nel contesto delle istituzioni occidentali," Banca Impresa Società, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 141.
- Hasan, Zubair, 1985. "Determination of Profit and Loss Sharing Ratios in Interest-Free Business Finance," MPRA Paper 3013, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- International Monetary Fund, 1998. "Monetary Operations and Government Debt Management Under Islamic Banking," IMF Working Papers 98/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Patrick A. Imam & Kangni Kpodar, 2010.
"Islamic Banking; How Has it Diffused?,"
IMF Working Papers
10/195, International Monetary Fund.
- Mirakhor, Abbas, 1987. "Analysis of Short-Term Asset Concentration in Islamic Banking," MPRA Paper 56029, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_73_10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.