Dynamic Hedging of Financial Instruments When the Underlying Follows a Non-Gaussian Process
Traditional dynamic hedging strategies are based on local information (ie Delta and Gamma) of the financial instruments to be hedged. We propose a new dynamic hedging strategy that employs non-local information and compare the profit and loss (P&L) resulting from hedging vanilla options when the classical approach of Delta- and Gammaneutrality is employed, to the results delivered by what we label Delta- and Fractional-Gamma-hedging. For specific cases, such as the FMLS of Carr and Wu (2003a) and Merton’s Jump-Diffusion model, the volatility of the P&L is considerably lower (in some cases only 25%) than that resulting from Delta- and Gamma-neutrality.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX, UK|
Phone: 44-20- 76316429
Fax: 44-20- 76316416
Web page: http://www.ems.bbk.ac.uk/
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carr, Peter & Wu, Liuren, 2004.
"Time-changed Levy processes and option pricing,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 113-141, January.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2002.
"What Type of Process Underlies Options? A Simple Robust Test,"
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2003. "What Type of Process Underlies Options? A Simple Robust Test," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2581-2610, December.
- Andrew Matacz, 1997. "Financial modeling and option theory with the truncated Lévy process," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500035, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2003.
"The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 753-778, 04.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2002. "The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing," Finance 0207012, EconWPA.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Peter Carr & Helyette Geman, 2002. "The Fine Structure of Asset Returns: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 305-332, April.
- S. G. Kou, 2002. "A Jump-Diffusion Model for Option Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(8), pages 1086-1101, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbk:bbkefp:0508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.