TIME-Konvergenz - Einige Ueberlegungen aus volkswirtschaftlicher Sicht
Driven by digitalization, convergence within the telecommunication and media sector is not only a today's phenomena, but will even become more important in the future. One of the most important dimensions of convergence is vertical integration, i.e. the merging of formerly independent firms along the value chain. Analyzing the economic aspects of vertical integration in the media and telecommunication sector, it is argued in this paper that convergence is clearly positive for the merging firms themselves. However, from the consumer perspective, there are positive as well as negative effects which do not allow for an unambiguous conclusion about convergence. The expected decrease in market prices due to a vanishing double monopoly markup is in favor of the demand side. On the other side, a vertical integrated firm will probably be able to foreclosure the access to the consumers against upstream firms (e.g. content producers), thus reducing the variety of media content. In the long run, this negative effect on product differentiation may even be strengthened by building up strategic entry barriers.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Economides, 1997.
"The Economics of Networks,"
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996. "The economics of networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 673-699, October.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997. "The Economics of Networks," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- J. Yannis Bakos, 1997. "Reducing Buyer Search Costs: Implications for Electronic Marketplaces," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(12), pages 1676-1692, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aug:augsbe:0234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.