A Value Transfer Approach for the Economic Estimation of Industrial Pollution: Policy Recommendations
In order to make possible an economic estimation of industrial pollution, which is one of the main polluters in the Asopos River Basin (RB), another method that of Benefit Transfer (BT) was applied and is presented in this chapter. The fact that gathering primary site-specific data is costly and time-consuming has made BT a more and more popular alternative for the valuation of ecosystem goods and services and it offers a considerable potential in the light of the EU Water Framework Directive (WFD) implementation. In a broad sense, BT method uses existing economic value estimates from one location to another similar site in another location. In this context, the objective of this chapter is to present an empirical application of the methodology of transfer value. A number of valuation studies in the European territory that have explored the impact of industry on water degradation are reviewed in order for a suitable ÃƒÂ¢Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½matchÃƒÂ¢Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½ to be made between the Asopos RB and a suitable existing valuation study from which to source economic value information and hence perform the valuation exercise. The chapter closes with conclusions and recommendations for policy design.
|Date of creation:||06 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Koundouri, P., and N. Papandreou (editors); M. Stithou (assistant editor), 2012. Water Resources Management Sustaining Socio-Economic Welfare: The Implementation of the European Water Framework Directive in Asopos River Basin in Greece. Spr|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+301) 8214021
Fax: (301) 8214021
Web page: http://deos.aueb.gr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ekin Birol & Phoebe Koundouri & Yiannis Kountouris, 2008. "Integrating Wetland Management into Sustainable Water Resources Allocation: The Case of Akrotiri Wetland in Cyprus," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(1), pages 37-53.
- Birol, Ekin & Koundouri, Phoebe & Kountouris, Yiannis, 2009.
"Assessing the economic viability of alternative water resources in water-scarce regions: Combining economic valuation, cost-benefit analysis and discounting,"
IFPRI discussion papers
908, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Birol, Ekin & Koundouri, Phoebe & Kountouris, Yiannis, 2010. "Assessing the economic viability of alternative water resources in water-scarce regions: Combining economic valuation, cost-benefit analysis and discounting," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 839-847, February.
- John Bergstrom & Kevin Boyle & Mitsuyasu Yabe, 2004. "Trading Taxes vs. Paying Taxes to Value and Finance Public Environmental Goods," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 28(4), pages 533-549, August.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Frykblom, Peter & Liljenstolpe, Carolina, 2003. "Valuing wetland attributes: an application of choice experiments," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 95-103, November.
- Nick Hanley & Sergio Colombo & Dugald Tinch & Andrew Black & Ashar Aftab, 2006. "Estimating the benefits of water quality improvements under the Water Framework Directive: are benefits transferable?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 391-413, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aue:wpaper:1315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekaterini Glynou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.