Nonlinear Dynamical Model of Regime Switching Between Conventions and Business Cycles
We introduce and study a non-equilibrium continuous-time dynamical model of the price of a single asset traded by a population of heterogeneous interacting agents in the presence of uncertainty and regulatory constraints. The model takes into account (i) the price formation delay between decision and investment by the second-order nature of the dynamical equations, (ii) the linear and nonlinear mean-reversal or their contrarian in the form of speculative price trading, (iii) market friction, (iv) uncertainty in the fundamental value which controls the amplitude of mispricing, (v) nonlinear speculative momentum effects and (vi) market regulations that may limit large mispricing drifts. We find markets with coexisting equilibrium, conventions and business cycles, which depend on (a) the relative strength of value-investing versus momentum-investing, (b) the level of uncertainty on the fundamental value and (c) the degree of market regulation. The stochastic dynamics is characterized by nonlinear geometric random walk-like processes with spontaneous regime shifts between different conventions or business cycles. This model provides a natural dynamical framework to model regime shifts between different market phases that may result from the interplay between the effects (i-vi).
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andersen, J.V. & Sornette, D., 2004. "Fearless versus fearful speculative financial bubbles," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 337(3), pages 565-585.
- Bonomo, M. & Garcia, R., 1991.
"Consumption and Equilibrium Asset Pricing: an Empirical Assessment,"
Cahiers de recherche
9126, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bonomo, Marco & Garcia, Rene, 1996. "Consumption and equilibrium asset pricing: An empirical assessment," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 239-265, September.
- Bonomo, M. & Garcia, R., 1991. "Consumption and Equilibrium Asset Pricing: an Empirical Assessment," Cahiers de recherche 9126, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Marco antonio Bonomo & Rene Garcia, 1992. "Consumption and equilibrium asset pricing: An empirical assessment," Textos para discussão 284, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Marco Bonomo & René Garcia, 1994.
"Disappointment Aversion as a Solution to the Equity Premium and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzles,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Marco Antonio Bonomo & Rene Garcia, 1993. "Disappointment aversion as a solution to the equity premium and the risk-free rate puzzles," Textos para discussão 308, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Garcia, R. & Bonomo, M., 1993. "Disappointment Aversion as a Solution to the Equity Premium and the Risk- Free Rate Puzzles," Cahiers de recherche 9334, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G & Lam, Pok-sang & Mark, Nelson C, 1990.
"Mean Reversion in Equilibrium Asset Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 398-418, June.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Rama Cont, 1998. "A Langevin approach to stock market fluctuations and crashes," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500027, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- J. Doyne Farmer, 1998.
"Market Force, Ecology, and Evolution,"
Research in Economics
98-12-117e, Santa Fe Institute.
- Boyer, Robert & Orlean, Andre, 1992. "How Do Conventions Evolve?," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 165-77, October.
- Broekstra, Gerrit & Sornette, Didier & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2005. "Bubble, critical zone and the crash of Royal Ahold," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 346(3), pages 529-560.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G. & Lam, Pok-sang & Mark, Nelson C., 1993.
"The equity premium and the risk-free rate : Matching the moments,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 21-45, February.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Pok-sang Lam & Nelson C. Clark, 1991. "The Equity Premium and the Risk Free Rate: Matching the Moments," NBER Working Papers 3752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S.G. Cecchetti & P. Lam & N.C. Mark, 2010. "The equity premium and the risk-free rate: matching the moments," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1396, David K. Levine.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:nlin/0701014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.