Nonlinear Dynamical Model of Regime Switching Between Conventions and Business Cycles
We introduce and study a non-equilibrium continuous-time dynamical model of the price of a single asset traded by a population of heterogeneous interacting agents in the presence of uncertainty and regulatory constraints. The model takes into account (i) the price formation delay between decision and investment by the second-order nature of the dynamical equations, (ii) the linear and nonlinear mean-reversal or their contrarian in the form of speculative price trading, (iii) market friction, (iv) uncertainty in the fundamental value which controls the amplitude of mispricing, (v) nonlinear speculative momentum effects and (vi) market regulations that may limit large mispricing drifts. We find markets with coexisting equilibrium, conventions and business cycles, which depend on (a) the relative strength of value-investing versus momentum-investing, (b) the level of uncertainty on the fundamental value and (c) the degree of market regulation. The stochastic dynamics is characterized by nonlinear geometric random walk-like processes with spontaneous regime shifts between different conventions or business cycles. This model provides a natural dynamical framework to model regime shifts between different market phases that may result from the interplay between the effects (i-vi).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonomo, Marco & Garcia, Rene, 1996.
"Consumption and equilibrium asset pricing: An empirical assessment,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 239-265, September.
- Marco antonio Bonomo & Rene Garcia, 1992. "Consumption and equilibrium asset pricing: An empirical assessment," Textos para discussão 284, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Bonomo, M. & Garcia, R., 1991. "Consumption and Equilibrium Asset Pricing: an Empirical Assessment," Cahiers de recherche 9126, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bonomo, M. & Garcia, R., 1991. "Consumption and Equilibrium Asset Pricing: an Empirical Assessment," Cahiers de recherche 9126, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- J. Doyne Farmer, 1999.
"Market Force, Ecology, and Evolution,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
651, Society for Computational Economics.
- Garcia, R. & Bonomo, M., 1993.
"Disappointment Aversion as a Solution to the Equity Premium and the Risk- Free Rate Puzzles,"
Cahiers de recherche
9334, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Marco Antonio Bonomo & Rene Garcia, 1993. "Disappointment aversion as a solution to the equity premium and the risk-free rate puzzles," Textos para discussão 308, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Marco Bonomo & René Garcia, 1994. "Disappointment Aversion as a Solution to the Equity Premium and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzles," CIRANO Working Papers 94s-14, CIRANO.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Pok-sang Lam & Nelson C. Mark, 1988.
"Mean Reversion in Equilibrium Asset Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
2762, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, J.V. & Sornette, D., 2004. "Fearless versus fearful speculative financial bubbles," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 337(3), pages 565-585.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Rama Cont, 1998. "A Langevin approach to stock market fluctuations and crashes," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500027, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G. & Lam, Pok-sang & Mark, Nelson C., 1993.
"The equity premium and the risk-free rate : Matching the moments,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 21-45, February.
- S.G. Cecchetti & P. Lam & N.C. Mark, 2010. "The equity premium and the risk-free rate: matching the moments," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1396, David K. Levine.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Pok-sang Lam & Nelson C. Clark, 1991. "The Equity Premium and the Risk Free Rate: Matching the Moments," NBER Working Papers 3752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Broekstra, Gerrit & Sornette, Didier & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2005. "Bubble, critical zone and the crash of Royal Ahold," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 346(3), pages 529-560.
- Boyer, Robert & Orlean, Andre, 1992. "How Do Conventions Evolve?," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 165-77, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:nlin/0701014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.