Crashes : symptoms, diagnoses and remedies
A brief historical perspective is first given concerning financial crashes, - from the 17th till the 20th century. In modern times, it seems that log periodic oscillations are found before crashes in several financial indices. The same is found in sand pile avalanches on Sierpinski gaskets. A discussion pertains to the after shock period with illustrations from the DAX index. The factual financial observations and the laboratory ones allow us some conjecture on symptoms and remedies for discussing financial crashes along econophysics lines.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Mantegna, 1999.
"Hierarchical structure in financial markets,"
The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 193-197, September.
- R. Mantegna, 1999. "Hierarchical structure in financial markets," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 193-197, September.
- Ausloos, Marcel & Vandewalle, N. & Ivanova, K., 2000. "Time is money," MPRA Paper 28703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- S. Gluzman & V. I. Yukalov, 1998. "Booms and Crashes in Self-Similar Markets," Papers cond-mat/9810092, arXiv.org.
- D'Hulst, R. & Rodgers, G.J., 2000. "Democracy versus dictatorship in self-organized models of financial markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 280(3), pages 554-565.
- Laurent Laloux & Marc Potters & Rama Cont & Jean-Pierre Aguilar & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 1998.
"Are Financial Crashes Predictable?,"
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Rama Cont, 1998. "A Langevin approach to stock market fluctuations and crashes," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500027, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Lauterbach, Beni & Ben-Zion, Uri, 1993. " Stock Market Crashes and the Performance of Circuit Breakers: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1909-25, December.
- Daerden, Frank & Vanderzande, Carlo, 1998. "Sandpiles on a Sierpinski gasket," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 256(3), pages 533-546.
- Zhi-Feng Huang, 2000. "Self-organized model for information spread in financial markets," Papers cond-mat/0004314, arXiv.org.
- Ross Macdonald, J. & Ausloos, M., 1997. "Analysis of TbZn resistivity temperature derivative above the Curie point using singular fitting equations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 242(1), pages 150-160.
- Ausloos, M., 2000. "Statistical physics in foreign exchange currency and stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 285(1), pages 48-65.
- Kaizoji, Taisei, 2000.
"Speculative bubbles and crashes in stock markets: an interacting-agent model of speculative activity,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 493-506.
- Taisei Kaizoji, 2000. "Speculative bubbles and crashes in stock market: an interacting-agent model of speculative activity," Papers cond-mat/0010263, arXiv.org.
- A. Johansen & D. Sornette, 1999. "Financial ``Anti-Bubbles'': Log-Periodicity in Gold and Nikkei collapses," Papers cond-mat/9901268, arXiv.org.
- Fabrizio Lillo & Rosario N. Mantegna, 2000. "Symmetry alteration of ensemble return distribution in crash and rally days of financial markets," Papers cond-mat/0002438, arXiv.org.
- Vandewalle, N. & Boveroux, Ph. & Minguet, A. & Ausloos, M., 1998. "The crash of October 1987 seen as a phase transition: amplitude and universality," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 255(1), pages 201-210.
- Anders Johansen & Didier Sornette, 2000. "The Nasdaq crash of April 2000: Yet another example of log-periodicity in a speculative bubble ending in a crash," Papers cond-mat/0004263, arXiv.org, revised May 2000.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:cond-mat/0104127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.