Faster Comparison of Stopping Times by Nested Conditional Monte Carlo
We show that deliberately introducing a nested simulation stage can lead to significant variance reductions when comparing two stopping times by Monte Carlo. We derive the optimal number of nested simulations and prove that the algorithm is remarkably robust to misspecifications of this number. The method is applied to several problems related to Bermudan/American options. In these applications, our method allows to substantially increase the efficiency of other variance reduction techniques, namely, Quasi-Control Variates and Multilevel Monte Carlo.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Belomestny & Fabian Dickmann & Tigran Nagapetyan, 2013. "Pricing American options via multi-level approximation methods," Papers 1303.1334, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2013.
- Boyle, Phelim & Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Monte Carlo methods for security pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1267-1321, June.
- Asmussen, S. & Binswanger, K., 1997. "Simulation of Ruin Probabilities for Subexponential Claims," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 297-318, November.
- Leif Andersen & Mark Broadie, 2004. "Primal-Dual Simulation Algorithm for Pricing Multidimensional American Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(9), pages 1222-1234, September.
- Denis Belomestny, 2009. "Pricing Bermudan options using nonparametric regression: optimal rates of convergence for lower estimates," Papers 0907.5599, arXiv.org.
- Mark Broadie & Yiping Du & Ciamac C. Moallemi, 2011. "Efficient Risk Estimation via Nested Sequential Simulation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(6), pages 1172-1194, June.
- Youyi Feng & Guillermo Gallego, 1995. "Optimal Starting Times for End-of-Season Sales and Optimal Stopping Times for Promotional Fares," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(8), pages 1371-1391, August.
- L. C. G. Rogers, 2002. "Monte Carlo valuation of American options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 271-286.
- repec:esr:wpaper:rsnote2012/3/1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 2001. "Valuing American Options by Simulation: A Simple Least-Squares Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 113-47.
- Michael B. Gordy & Sandeep Juneja, 2010.
"Nested Simulation in Portfolio Risk Measurement,"
INFORMS, vol. 56(10), pages 1833-1848, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1402.0243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.