Frequency Effects on Predictability of Stock Returns
We propose that predictability is a prerequisite for profitability on financial markets. We look at ways to measure predictability of price changes using information theoretic approach and employ them on all historical data available for NYSE 100 stocks. This allows us to determine whether frequency of sampling price changes affects the predictability of those. We also relations between price changes predictability and the deviation of the price formation processes from iid as well as the stock's sector. We also briefly comment on the complicated relationship between predictability of price changes and the profitability of algorithmic trading.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Steuer & L. Molgedey & W. Ebeling & M.A. Jiménez-Montaño, 2001. "Entropy and optimal partition for data analysis," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 19(2), pages 265-269, 01.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Lee, Jun-De, 2009. "Energy prices, multiple structural breaks, and efficient market hypothesis," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(4), pages 466-479, April.
- Gili Yen & Cheng-few Lee, 2008. "Efficient Market Hypothesis (EMH): Past, Present and Future," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(02), pages 305-329.
- Xue-Zhong He & Youwei Li, 2005.
"Heterogeneity, Profitability and Autocorrelations,"
Research Paper Series
147, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Youwei Li & Xue-Zhong (Tony) He, 2005. "Heterogeneity, Profitability and Autocorrelations," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 244, Society for Computational Economics.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2008. "Econophysics And Economic Complexity," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(05), pages 745-760. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)