Estimating the FDI Impact on Economic Growth and Export Performances of the European Economies in Transition
Within the last two decades, Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) has been observed as one of the prime instruments in the process of restructuring the European economies in transition. Many scholars argue that FDI is expected to be a source of valuable technology transfer thus might certainly have positive effects on host country development efforts. Nonetheless, there are no clear-cut findings about the FDI genuine performances in supporting the economic growth, productivity and export improvements within the European transition countries. Using a large and comprehensive data set, we will therefore analyze the linkage between FDI and above mentioned variables, so as to recommend national policy appropriate measures aimed at averting negative and strengthening the positive FDI spillovers.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in The Young Economists Journal, Year VI, No. 11, ISSN: 1583-9982, pp. 115-126, 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://arxiv.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993.
"International R&D Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Gabor Hunya, 2000. "International Competitiveness Impacts of FDI in CEECs," wiiw Research Reports 268, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Sohinger, Jasminka, 2004. "Transforming Competitiveness in European Transition Economies: The Role of Foreign Direct Investment," Institute of European Studies, Working Paper Series qt5174h9b8, Institute of European Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 2007. "Capital, innovation, and growth accounting," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 79-93, Spring.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2004. "Capital Flows and Crises," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550598, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1310.1342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.