Time-reversal asymmetry in financial systems
We investigate the large-fluctuation dynamics in financial markets, based on the minute-to-minute and daily data of the Chinese Indices and German DAX. The dynamic relaxation both before and after the large fluctuations is characterized by a power law, and the exponents $p_\pm$ usually vary with the strength of the large fluctuations. The large-fluctuation dynamics is time-reversal symmetric at the time scale in minutes, while asymmetric at the daily time scale. Careful analysis reveals that the time-reversal asymmetry is mainly induced by external forces. It is also the external forces which drive the financial system to a non-stationary state. Different characteristics of the Chinese and German stock markets are uncovered.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander M. Petersen & Fengzhong Wang & Shlomo Havlin & H. Eugene Stanley, 2009. "Quantitative law describing market dynamics before and after interest-rate change," Papers 0903.0010, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2010.
- D. Sornette, 2003. "Critical Market Crashes," Papers cond-mat/0301543, arXiv.org.
- Tian Qiu & Bo Zheng & Guang Chen, 2010. "Adaptive financial networks with static and dynamic thresholds," Papers 1002.3432, arXiv.org.
- Mu, Guo-Hua & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2008. "Relaxation dynamics of aftershocks after large volatility shocks in the SSEC index," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(21), pages 5211-5218.
- Qiu, T. & Zheng, B. & Ren, F. & Trimper, S., 2007. "Statistical properties of German Dax and Chinese indices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 378(2), pages 387-398.
- Zhiguang (Gerald) Wang, 2009. "Volatility Risk," Issue Briefs 2009513, South Dakota State University, Department of Economics.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Vrugt, Evert B., 2009. "U.S. and Japanese macroeconomic news and stock market volatility in Asia-Pacific," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 611-627, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1308.0669. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.