Some applications of first-passage ideas to finance
Many problems in finance are related to first passage times. Among all of them, we chose three on which we contributed personally. Our first example relates Kolmogorov-Smirnov like goodness-of-fit tests, modified in such a way that tail events and core events contribute equally to the test (in the standard Kolmogorov-Smirnov, the tails contribute very little to the measure of goodness-of-fit). We show that this problem can be mapped onto that of a random walk inside moving walls. The second example is the optimal time to sell an asset (modelled as a random walk with drift) such that the sell time is as close as possible to the time at which the asset reaches its maximum value. The last example concerns optimal trading in the presence of transaction costs. In this case, the optimal strategy is to wait until the predictor reaches (plus or minus) a threshold value before buying or selling. The value of this threshold is found by mapping the problem onto that of a random walk between two walls.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albert Shiryaev & Zuoquan Xu & Xun Yu Zhou, 2008. "Thou shalt buy and hold," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(8), pages 765-776.
- Albert Shiryaev & Zuoquan Xu & Xun Yu Zhou, 2008. "Response to comment on 'Thou shalt buy and hold'," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(8), pages 761-762.
- Remy Chicheportiche & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 2011. "Goodness-of-Fit tests with Dependent Observations," Papers 1106.3016, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2011.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-470, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- R\'emy Chicheportiche & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 2012. "Weighted Kolmogorov-Smirnov test: Accounting for the tails," Papers 1207.7308, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2012.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1306.3110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.