We consider Constant Proportion Portfolio Insurance (CPPI) and its dynamic extension, which may be called Dynamic Proportion Portfolio Insurance (DPPI). It is shown that these investment strategies work within the setting of F\"ollmer's pathwise It\^o calculus, which makes no probabilistic assumptions whatsoever. This shows, on the one hand, that CPPI and DPPI are completely independent of any choice of a particular model for the dynamics of asset prices. They even make sense beyond the class of semimartingale sample paths and can be successfully defined for models admitting arbitrage, including some models based on fractional Brownian motion. On the other hand, the result can be seen as a case study for the general issue of robustness in the face of model uncertainty in finance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rama Cont, 2006. "Model uncertainty and its impact on the pricing of derivative instruments," Post-Print halshs-00002695, HAL.
- Louis Paulot & Xavier Lacroze, 2011. "One-Dimensional Pricing of CPPI," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 207-225.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2004.
"Ambiguity Aversion, Robustness, and the Variational Representation of Preferences,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
12, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2006. "Ambiguity Aversion, Robustness, and the Variational Representation of Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1447-1498, November.
- Christian Bender & Tommi Sottinen & Esko Valkeila, 2010. "Fractional processes as models in stochastic finance," Papers 1004.3106, arXiv.org.
- Rama Cont & Peter Tankov, 2009. "Constant Proportion Portfolio Insurance In The Presence Of Jumps In Asset Prices," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 379-401.
- Black, Fischer & Perold, AndreF., 1992. "Theory of constant proportion portfolio insurance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 403-426.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Haydyn Brown & David Hobson & L. C. G. Rogers, 2001. "Robust Hedging of Barrier Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 285-314.
- Christian Bender & Tommi Sottinen & Esko Valkeila, 2008. "Pricing by hedging and no-arbitrage beyond semimartingales," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 441-468, October.
- Bick, Avi & Willinger, Walter, 1994. "Dynamic spanning without probabilities," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 349-374, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1305.5915. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.