Swing options in commodity markets: A multidimensional L\'evy diffusion model
We study valuation of swing options on commodity markets when the commodity prices are driven by multiple factors. The factors are modeled as diffusion processes driven by a multidimensional L\'evy process. We set up a valuation model in terms of a dynamic programming problem where the option can be exercised continuously in time. Here, the number of swing rights is given by a total volume constraint. We analyze some general properties of the model and study the solution by analyzing the associated HJB-equation. Furthermore, we discuss the issues caused by the multi-dimensionality of the commodity price model. The results are illustrated numerically with three explicit examples.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben Hambly & Sam Howison & Tino Kluge, 2009. "Modelling spikes and pricing swing options in electricity markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(8), pages 937-949.
- M. Dahlgren, 2005. "A Continuous Time Model to Price Commodity-Based Swing Options," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 27-47, June.
- Mats Kjaer, 2008. "Pricing of Swing Options in a Mean Reverting Model with Jumps," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5-6), pages 479-502.
- Patrick Jaillet & Ehud I. Ronn & Stathis Tompaidis, 2004. "Valuation of Commodity-Based Swing Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(7), pages 909-921, July.
- René Carmona & Nizar Touzi, 2008. "Optimal Multiple Stopping And Valuation Of Swing Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 239-268.
- M. I. M. Wahab & Z. Yin & N. C. P. Edirisinghe, 2010. "Pricing swing options in the electricity markets under regime-switching uncertainty," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(9), pages 975-994.
- Fred Espen Benth & Jan Kallsen & Thilo Meyer-Brandis, 2007. "A Non-Gaussian Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Process for Electricity Spot Price Modeling and Derivatives Pricing," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 153-169.
- Edoli, Enrico & Fiorenzani, Stefano & Ravelli, Samuele & Vargiolu, Tiziano, 2013. "Modeling and valuing make-up clauses in gas swing contracts," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 58-73.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1302.6399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.