Negative Call Prices
We show that the existence of an equivalent local martingale measure for asset prices does not prevent negative prices for European calls written on positive stock prices. In particular, we illustrate that many standard no-arbitrage arguments implicitly rely on conditions stronger than the No Free Lunch With Vanishing Risk (NFLVR) assumption. The discrepancy between replicating prices and market prices for a contingent claim may be observed in a model satisfying NFLVR since certain trading strategies of buying one portfolio and selling another one are often excluded by standard admissibility constraints.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Peter Carr & Travis Fisher & Johannes Ruf, 2012. "On the Hedging of Options On Exploding Exchange Rates," Papers 1202.6188, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2013.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Alexander Cox & David Hobson, 2005. "Local martingales, bubbles and option prices," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 477-492, October.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Constantinos Kardaras & Hao Xing, 2009. "Strict Local Martingale Deflators and Pricing American Call-Type Options," Papers 0908.1082, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2009. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1204.1903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.