Hedging under arbitrage
It is shown that delta hedging provides the optimal trading strategy in terms of minimal required initial capital to replicate a given terminal payoff in a continuous-time Markovian context. This holds true in market models where no equivalent local martingale measure exists but only a square-integrable market price of risk. A new probability measure is constructed, which takes the place of an equivalent local martingale measure. In order to ensure the existence of the delta hedge, sufficient conditions are derived for the necessary differentiability of expectations indexed over the initial market configuration. The recently often discussed phenomenon of "bubbles" is a special case of the setting in this paper. Several examples at the end illustrate the techniques described in this work.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Constantinos Kardaras, 2009. "Finitely additive probabilities and the Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing," Papers 0911.5503, arXiv.org.
- Loewenstein, Mark & Willard, Gregory A., 2000. "Rational Equilibrium Asset-Pricing Bubbles in Continuous Trading Models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 17-58, March.
- S. D. Jacka, 1992. "A Martingale Representation Result and an Application to Incomplete Financial Markets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(4), pages 239-250.
- Eckhard Platen & Hardy Hulley, 2008. "Hedging for the Long Run," Research Paper Series 214, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Constantinos Kardaras & Hao Xing, 2009. "Strict Local Martingale Deflators and Pricing American Call-Type Options," Papers 0908.1082, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2009.
- Constantinos Kardaras, 2008. "Balance, growth and diversity of financial markets," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 369-397, July.
- Eckhard Platen, 2001. "Arbitrage in Continuous Complete Markets," Research Paper Series 72, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- David Heath & Eckhard Platen, 2002.
"Consistent Pricing and Hedging for a Modified Constant Elasticity of Variance Model,"
Research Paper Series
78, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- David Heath & Eckhard Platen, 2002. "Consistent pricing and hedging for a modified constant elasticity of variance model," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(6), pages 459-467.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004.
"A Benchmark Approach to Finance,"
Research Paper Series
138, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Robert Fernholz & Ioannis Karatzas & Constantinos Kardaras, 2005. "Diversity and relative arbitrage in equity markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Constantinos Kardaras, 2008. "Balance, growth and diversity of financial markets," Papers 0803.1858, arXiv.org.
- Eckhard Platen, 2008. "The Law of Minimum Price," Research Paper Series 215, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1003.4797. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.