Non-parametric kernel estimation for symmetric Hawkes processes. Application to high frequency financial data
We define a numerical method that provides a non-parametric estimation of the kernel shape in symmetric multivariate Hawkes processes. This method relies on second order statistical properties of Hawkes processes that relate the covariance matrix of the process to the kernel matrix. The square root of the correlation function is computed using a minimal phase recovering method. We illustrate our method on some examples and provide an empirical study of the estimation errors. Within this framework, we analyze high frequency financial price data modeled as 1D or 2D Hawkes processes. We find slowly decaying (power-law) kernel shapes suggesting a long memory nature of self-excitation phenomena at the microstructure level of price dynamics.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohler, G. O. & Short, M. B. & Brantingham, P. J. & Schoenberg, F. P. & Tita, G. E., 2011. "Self-Exciting Point Process Modeling of Crime," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 106(493), pages 100-108.
- Luc, BAUWENS & Nikolaus, HAUTSCH, 2006.
"Modelling Financial High Frequency Data Using Point Processes,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques)
2006039, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Luc Bauwens & Nikolaus Hautsch, 2007. "Modelling Financial High Frequency Data Using Point Processes," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-066, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAUTSCH, Nikolaus, 2006. "Modelling financial high frequency data using point processes," CORE Discussion Papers 2006080, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAUTSCH, Nikolaus, . "Modelling financial high frequency data using point processes," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2123, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- V. Chavez-Demoulin & A. C. Davison & A. J. McNeil, 2005. "Estimating value-at-risk: a point process approach," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 227-234.
- Large, Jeremy, 2007. "Measuring the resiliency of an electronic limit order book," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-25, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1112.1838. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.