Proposing a taxonomy for performance measurement systems' failures
Failures of business performance measurement (BPM) systems are dispersedly discussed in the abundance of literature written. Due to the multi-disciplinarity of stakeholders and researchers involved, the basis of literature is expanding but not converging. The added value of this paper is twofold. Firstly, the nomenclature used in the BPM eld is aligned and represented visually. Secondly, this paper compiles and discusses 36 identi ed failures of performance measurement systems (PMS), thereby proposing an easy taxonomy. The classi cation draws upon three layers: metric level, framework level and management level, with respectively 13, 9 and 14 failures. This paper holds information for both academics and business people. The former can employ the literature overview for further referencing and can use it as a guideline to construct new BPM frameworks or systems, or adjust old ones. By reading this paper, people from the eld create an awareness of risks involved when implementing a PMS. Alternatively, they can use it as a checklist in their current situation or tool for easy communication. Further research is necessary, both for tackling the problems listed and for looking into the correlation of the presented failures.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Juite & Hwang, W.-L., 2007. "A fuzzy set approach for R&D portfolio selection using a real options valuation model," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 247-257, June.
- Hauser, John R. & Katz, Gerald M. & International Center for Research on the Management of Technology., 1998. "Metrics : you are what you measure!," Working papers 172-98, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Cedergren, Stefan & Wall, Anders & Norström, Christer, 2010. "Evaluation of performance in a product development context," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 359-369, July.
- Kostoff, Ronald N. & Geisler, Elie, 2007. "The unintended consequences of metrics in technology evaluation," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 103-114.
- Bititci, U. S. & Suwignjo, P. & Carrie, A. S., 2001. "Strategy management through quantitative modelling of performance measurement systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 15-22, January.
- Verworn, Birgit & Herstatt, Cornelius, 1999. "Approaches to the "fuzzy front end" of innovation," Working Papers 2, Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH), Institute for Technology and Innovation Management.
- V. Krishnan & Karl T. Ulrich, 2001. "Product Development Decisions: A Review of the Literature," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Pawar, Kulwant S. & Driva, Helen, 1999. "Performance measurement for product design and development in a manufacturing environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 61-68, April.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Marc H. Meyer & Peter Tertzakian & James M. Utterback, 1997. "Metrics for Managing Research and Development in the Context of the Product Family," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(1), pages 88-111, January.
- Suwignjo, P. & Bititci, U. S & Carrie, A. S, 2000. "Quantitative models for performance measurement system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 231-241, March.
- Nilsson, Fredrik & Kald, Magnus, 2002. "Recent Advances in Performance Management:: The Nordic Case," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 235-245, June.
- Hauser, John & Katz, Gerald, 1998. "Metrics: you are what you measure!," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 517-528, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ant:wpaper:2013004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.