FuX, an android app that generates counterpoint
This paper describes the implementation of an Android application, called FuX1, that can continuously play a stream of newly generated fifth species counterpoint. A variable neighborhood search algorithm is implemented in order to generate the music. This algorithm is a modification of an algorithm developed previously by the authors to generate musical fragments of a pre-specified length . The changes in the algorithm allow the Android app to play a continuous stream of music. The objective function used to evaluate the quality of the fragment is based on a quantification of the extensive rules of this musical style. FuX is a user friendly application that can be installed on any Android phone of tablet.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- HERREMANS, Dorien & SÖRENSEN, Kenneth, 2012. "Composing Fifth Species Counterpoint Music With Variable Neighborhood Search," Working Papers 2012020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Avanthay, Cedric & Hertz, Alain & Zufferey, Nicolas, 2003. "A variable neighborhood search for graph coloring," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 379-388, December.
- Aguilera, Gabriel & Luis Galán, José & Madrid, Rafael & Martínez, Antonio Manuel & Padilla, Yolanda & Rodríguez, Pedro, 2010. "Automated generation of contrapuntal musical compositions using probabilistic logic in Derive," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 80(6), pages 1200-1211.
- Hansen, Pierre & Mladenovic, Nenad, 2001. "Variable neighborhood search: Principles and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 449-467, May.
- Fleszar, Krzysztof & Hindi, Khalil S., 2004. "Solving the resource-constrained project scheduling problem by a variable neighbourhood search," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 155(2), pages 402-413, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ant:wpaper:2013003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.