A fishing expedition in the Mekong Delta: Market volatility and price substitutes for Vietnamese fresh water fish
In this paper the Vietnamese fresh water fish product market is examined, using time series data from An Giang province in Vietnam, for the period from January 2004 to December 2005. Daily price volatility is analyzed using univariate Generalised Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity (GARCH). Subsequently, a Vector Autoregressive Model (VAR) is used to estimate the relationship between tra fish cultured in pond, tra fish cultured in cage, basa fish, tilapia and snakehead fish, and potential substitute products such as chicken, beef and pork.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David A. Bessler, 1984. "An Analysis of Dynamic Economic Relationships: An Application to the U.S. Hog Market," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 32(1), pages 109-124, 03.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Schwert, G William, 1989.
"Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 147-59, April.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Babula, Ronald A. & Bessler, David A. & Payne, Warren S., 2003. "Dynamic Relationships Among Selected U.S. Commodity-Based, Value Added Markets: Applying Directed Acyclic Graphs to a Time Series Model," Working Paper ID Series 15879, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Industries.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Perron, P. & Ng, S., 1996.
"An Autoregressive Spectral Density Estimator at Frequency Zero for Nonstationarity Tests,"
Cahiers de recherche
9611, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, Pierre & Ng, Serena, 1998. "An Autoregressive Spectral Density Estimator At Frequency Zero For Nonstationarity Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(05), pages 560-603, October.
- Perron, P. & Ng, S., 1996. "An Autoregressive Spectral Density Estimator at Frequency Zero for Nonstationarity Tests," Cahiers de recherche 9611, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Mansor H. IBRAHIM, 2007. "The Yen-Dollar Exchange Rate And Malaysian Macroeconomic Dynamics," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 45(3), pages 315-338.
- Jian Yang & Jin Zhang & David J. Leatham, 2003. "Price and Volatility Transmission in International Wheat Futures," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 4(1), pages 37-50, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ant:wpaper:2008002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.