Territorial Heterogeneity and Institutional Structures in Shaping Rural Development Policies in Europe
The paper proposes an evolutionary reading of rural development referred to cases of rapid industrial growth, where a strong concentration process has involved the main urban centres and the successful industrial districts. This territorial development pattern has gradually extinguished rural society and its institutional basis, creating a clear separation between new central and peripheral areas. The consequent effects on local economy and social dynamics reveal the long-term risks raised in terms of development sustainability. An empirical study of two Italian provinces is also carried out to show how this framework can be helpful in interpreting real historical patterns.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8, 60121 Ancona|
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P Allanson & J Murdoch & G Garrod & P Lowe, 1995.
"Sustainability and the rural economy: an evolutionary perspective,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(11), pages 1797-1814, November.
- P Allanson & J Murdoch & G Garrod & P Lowe, 1995. "Sustainability and the Rural Economy: An Evolutionary Perspective," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 27(11), pages 1797-1814, November.
- Common, Mick & Perrings, Charles, 1992. "Towards an ecological economics of sustainability," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 7-34, July.
- Tamberi, Massimo, 1992. "How much is Backwardness an Advantage? Fur¬ther Reflections on the Road from Backward¬ness advantages to Convergence," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 45(1), pages 59-76.
- Saraceno, Elena, 1994. "Alternative Readings of Spatial Differentiation: The Rural versus the Local Economy Approach in Italy," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 21(3-4), pages 451-74.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.