Behavior And Productivity Implications Of Institutional And Project Funding Of Research
A behavioral model of a research scientist is utilized to develop the characteristics of the demand for institutional (lR) and project research (PR) funds. The demand analysis implies a trade-off between the allocative and productive efficiency of IR funding and the research output mix of PR funding. The model is used to evaluate the formula and competitive grant funding of U.S. agricultural research. We conclude that national research policy should be cast in terms of the relative mix of the two systems of support, not in the absolute merits of either system.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||1979|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040|
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Earl O. Heady, 1961. "Public Purpose in Agricultural Research and Education," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 43(3), pages 566-581.
- Becker, William E, Jr, 1979. "Professorial Behavior Given a Stochastic Reward Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(5), pages 1010-17, December.
- Vernon Ruttan, 1980.
"Bureaucratic productivity: The case of agricultural research,"
Springer, vol. 35(5), pages 529-547, January.
- Ruttan, Vernon W., 1978. "Bureaucratic Productivity: The Case Of Agricultural Research," Staff Papers 13911, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Guttman, Joel M, 1978. "Interest Groups and the Demand for Agricultural Research," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(3), pages 467-84, June.
- Niskanen, William A, 1975. "Bureaucrats and Politicians," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 617-43, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umaesp:14058. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.