Demand System Choice Based On Testing The Engel Curve Specification
It is common to use a demand systems approach in estimating the key parameters from household consumption data. In conducting these studies the researcher is faced with selecting a functional form. In turn, each functional form implies a particular shape for the Engel curves. This analysis highlights the importance of testing the shape of Engel curves, especially if the researcher is interested in elasticity estimates well away from the sample mean. Using consumption data for selected households in Italy it is shown that many popular functional forms are rejected by the data.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Deaton, Angus, 1987. "Estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 7-30.
- J. Scott Shonkwiler & Steven T. Yen, 1999. "Two-Step Estimation of a Censored System of Equations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 972-982.
- Hausman, J. A. & Newey, W. K. & Powell, J. L., 1995.
"Nonlinear errors in variables Estimation of some Engel curves,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 205-233, January.
- J. A. Hausman & W. K. Newey & J. L. Powel, 1988. "Nonlinear Errors in Variables: Estimation of Some Engel Curves," Working papers 504, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aasness, Jorgen & Rodseth, Asbjorn, 1983. "Engel curves and systems of demand functions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-3), pages 95-121, January.
- Delgado, Miguel A & Miles, Daniel, 1997. "Household Characteristics and Consumption Behaviour: A Nonparametric Approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 409-429.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Giles, David E A & Hampton, Peter, 1985. "An Engel Curve Analysis of Household Expenditure in New Zealand," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 61(172), pages 450-462, March.
- De Witte, M. A. C. & Cramer, J. S., 1986. "Functional form of engel curves for foodstuffs," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 909-913, August.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Pitt, Mark M, 1986. "Microeconometric Demand Systems with Binding Nonnegativity Constraints: The Dual Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1237-1242, September.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Rizzi, P. L., 1997. "La Struttura Dei Consumi Delle Famiglie in Italia," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1192, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1975. "Transcendental Logarithmic Utility Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 367-383, June.
- Richard Blundell & Alan Duncan, 1998. "Kernel Regression in Empirical Microeconomics," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 62-87.
- Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1978. "Estimation of Complete Demand Systems from Household Budget Data: The Linear and Quadratic Expenditure Systems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 348-359, June.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1987. "Characterizing Some Gorman Engel Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1451-1459, November.
- Keen, Michael, 1986. "Zero Expenditures and the Estimation of Engel Curves," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(3), pages 277-286, July.
- Laitinen, Kenneth & Theil, Henri & Raparla, Tejaswi, 1983. "A generalization of working's model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 97-100.
- Bewley, R A, 1982. "On the Functional Form of Engel Curves: The Australian Household Expenditure Survey, 1975-76," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 58(160), pages 82-91, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uguewp:34139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.