Product Quality In The Canadian Dairy Industry
Supply management has been shown to increase the price of milk. Technological change has induced (and allowed) processors to substitute alternative inputs, many of which can be imported tariff-free, for the traditional ingredients to lower costs and maximize profit. Meanwhile, there has been a great deal of consolidation in the dairy processing industry. We analyse the effect of these trends on cheese quality by measuring the increase in casein imports. Results suggest that supply management is negatively affecting cheese quality, by increasing casein imports due to the higher milk price. Furthermore, we were able to calculate that approximately 9.8% of specialty cheese is produced used casein. A 22% ad valorem tariff is needed to drive casein imports down to zero.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.landfood.ubc.ca/fre/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Schmitz & Troy G. Schmitz, 1994. "Supply Management: The Past and Future," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 42(2), pages 125-148, 07.
- Acharyya, Rajat, 1998. "Monopoly and product quality: Separating or pooling menu?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 187-194, November.
- Beath,John & Katsoulacos,Yannis, 1991.
"The Economic Theory of Product Differentiation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521335522.
- Timothy J. Richards, 1996. "The Effect of Supply Management on Dairy Productivity," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 458-62, April.
- L. Lambertini, 1998. "Does Monopoly Undersupply Product Quality?," Working Papers 317, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Jota Ishikawa & Barbara J. Spencer, 1996.
"Rent-Shifting Export Subsidies with an Imported Intermediate Product,"
NBER Working Papers
5458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Spencer, Barbara J., 1999. "Rent-shifting export subsidies with an imported intermediate product," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 199-232, August.
- Karl Meilke & Rakhal Sarker & Danny Roy, 1998. "The Potential for Increased Trade in Milk and Dairy Products between Canada and the United States under Trade Liberalization," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 46(2), pages 149-169, 07.
- Timothy J. Richards & Scott R. Jeffrey, 1997. "The Effect of Supply Management on Herd Size in Alberta Dairy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 555-565.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ubcwps:15844. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.