Spatial Shift-Share Analysis of the Leisure and Hospitality Sector on the Gulf Coast following Hurricane Katrina
Employment shifts in the Leisure and Hospitality sector along the Gulf coast following Hurricane Katrina were explored using spatial shift-share analysis. Using a spatial weights matrix that incorporated relative employment, and distance measures relative to the track of the storm we calculated classical and spatial shift-share components. Each of the spatial components then was regressed on net employment change, and the results were statistically significant, and similar to results obtained by Marquez and Ramajo (2005). These results suggest that spatial interaction between employment centers as well as with the storm track, was a relevant aspect of the employment shifts that occurred following Hurricane Katrina.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willem Johannes Maria Heijman & Cornelis Martijn Van der Heide & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Marc E. Loman, 1998. "Regional Economic growth and accessibility: The case of the Netherlands," ERSA conference papers ersa98p436, European Regional Science Association.
- Matías Mayor Fernández & Ana Jesús López Menéndez, 2005. "The spatial shift-share analysis - new developments and some findings for the Spanish case," ERSA conference papers ersa05p659, European Regional Science Association.
- Case, Anne C. & Rosen, Harvey S. & Hines, James Jr., 1993. "Budget spillovers and fiscal policy interdependence : Evidence from the states," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 285-307, October.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2001. "Equilibrium and Economic Growth: Spatial Econometric Models and Simulations," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 117-147.
- Esteban-Marquillas, J. M., 1972. "I. A reinterpretation of shift-share analysis," Regional and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 249-255, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeaed:6744. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.