U.S.-Canada Border Disputes In Grains: Dynamic Interface Between The Free Trade Agreement And Trade Remedy Laws
Agricultural trade between the United States and Canada has been contentious since the inception of the CUSTA agreement in 1989. Even though Canadian exports of wheat and barley are not found to have violated U.S. trade remedy laws, friction seems likely to continue as long as the surge in Canadian exports remains unabated. Gradual harmonization of trade policies, farm subsidy programs, and marketing institutions may reduce trade disputes between the two countries in the future. To diffuse the threat of future trade disputes, a Canada - U.S. joint research team should be formed to deal with the matter through better understanding for causes of the disputes.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 5636, Fargo, ND 58105-5636|
Phone: (701) 231-7441
Web page: http://www.ext.nodak.edu/homepages/aedept/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koo, Won W. & Nganje, William E. & Johnson, D. Demcey & Park, Joon J. & Taylor, Richard D., 1999. "Economic Analysis Of The Proposed North Dakota Wheat Pool," Agricultural Economics Reports 23173, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Markusen, James R. & Melvin, James R. & Maskus, Keith E. & Kaempfer, William, 1995. "International trade: theory and evidence," MPRA Paper 21989, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Won W. Koo & Ihn H. Uhw, 1984. "United States and Canadian Rail Freight-Rate Structures: A Carparative Analysis," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 32(2), pages 301-326, 07.
- Koo, Won W., 1998. "Bilateral Trade Of Durum Wheat And Barley Under Custa And Implications For Farm Price And Income," Agricultural Economics Reports 23415, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Mao, Weining & Koo, Won W. & Krause, Mark A., 1996. "World Feed Barley Trade Under Alternative Trade Policy Scenarios," Agricultural Economics Reports 23272, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- J. R. Coleman & Karl D. Meilke, 1988. "The Influence of Exchange Rates on Red Meat Trade between Canada and the United States," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 36(3), pages 401-424, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nddaer:23267. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.