The Impact Of Foreign Direct Investment (Fdi) On The Future Sustainable Development Of Ethiopia
In the light of recent strong global increases of Foreign Direct Investments (FDI), Ethiopia is one of the developing countries having received high FDI inflows in its agribusiness sector especially since 2006. As the agribusiness sector is the base of the Ethiopian economy these increases may considerably influence the total economy. This study aims at giving a first insight of possible midterm impacts of the FDI inflows on the sustainable development of Ethiopia. By analysing former empirical studies, likely future trends of development are derived. It is estimated that the high FDI inflows currently have and in the future continue to have a positive impact on the economic growth and poverty reduction. However, scarcity of agricultural land and water and corresponding environmental problems are bound to increase if no new production technologies and sufficiently strong regulatory frameworks are implemented.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0531 / 596 5501
Fax: 0531 / 596 5599
Web page: http://www.gewisola.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Growth is good for the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2587, The World Bank.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Klein, Michael & Aaron, Carl & Hadjimichael, Bita, 2001. "Foreign direct investment and poverty reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2613, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gewi12:137162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.