International price transmission on soft wheat markets: which role for policy variables in cointegration relationships?
This paper aims at considering policy regimes while studying international price transmission mechanisms. The focus is on the soft wheat market between the United States and the European Union in the years 1978-2003. EU domestic and border policies are expected to play a strong role; a theoretical framework is developed in which the basic idea is that the intervention price acts as a threshold above which the EU and the US price can interact. A composite variable, equal to the maximum between the intervention and the US price, is then introduced in a cointegration model and its relation with the EU price is studied. In addition to this, other models are estimated, in which the adjustment coefficients and the parameters of the cointegrating vector are allowed to vary according to the policy regime in place. All models yield consistent results. The EU price reaction to the long run relations suggests that the role of the US price can be understood only if policy regimes are adequately accounted for. To which extent the US price adjusts to disequilibria requires further research.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher B. Barrett & Jau Rong Li, 2002. "Distinguishing between Equilibrium and Integration in Spatial Price Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 292-307.
- Thompson, Stanley R. & Bohl, Martin T., 1999. "International Wheat Price Transmission And Cap Reform," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21705, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Christopher B. Barrett, 1996. "Market Analysis Methods: Are Our Enriched Toolkits Well Suited to Enlivened Markets?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 825-829.
- Dragan Miljkovic, 1999. "The Law of One Price in International Trade: A Critical Review," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 21(1), pages 126-139.
- Fackler, Paul L. & Goodwin, Barry K., 2001. "Spatial price analysis," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 17, pages 971-1024 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae08:43843. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.