Efficiency Cluster in Organic Grassland Farming in Germany – Methodological and Practical Implications
This paper investigates regional cluster of organic grassland farms with respect to technical efficiency. The data-base consists of organic grassland and mixed farms in Germany from 1994/95 to 2005/06. In a first step five inputs and one output are analyzed by means of a stochastic frontier production function, allowing for heteroscedasticity and technical effects. The selection of determinants of technical efficiency is based on location theory. Since organic farming has regional centers, technical efficiency (TE) of organic farms is found to be affected by regional variables (such as agglomeration effects). In a second step we identified regional clusters of organic farms and analyzed the technical efficiency of the regional clusters. The results show that organic farms in distinct regions show different efficiency performance - suggesting that there are agglomeration and urbanization effects in the organic market.
|Date of creation:||27 Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Burton & Dan Rigby & Trevor Young, 1999. "Analysis of the Determinants of Adoption of Organic Horticultural Techniques in the UK," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 47-63.
- Alfons Oude Lansink & Ky–sti Pietola, 2002. "Effciency and productivity of conventional and organic farms in Finland 1994--1997," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 51-66, March.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Jaenicke, Edward C. & Goetz, Stephan J. & Wu, Ping-Chao & Dimitri, Carolyn, 2009. "Identifying and Measuring the Effect of Firm Clusters Among Certified Organic Processors and Handlers," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49205, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa116:95053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.