Evolution of trade flows for sheep milk cheese: an empirical model for Greece
This research examines Feta cheese trade flows, having as raw material sheep milk. The findings of the implementation of the gravity model demonstrate the significance of trade flows for Greek Feta worldwide. It will be a very useful instrument for examining the trading potential of Feta cheese, on the condition that there will be a positive outcome on the judicial and political level for the product in the WTO negotiations. The findings of the gravity model will be very helpful for an analysis which follows, in order to show off the strengths and weaknesses of the sector, as well as the opportunities and threats the market creates. Finally, there is a list of proposals suggestions which focus on increasing the competitiveness of the sector and on armouring it with all the essential quality and safety reassurances. This is done in order to avoid, in the future, attempts from competitors to jeopardize once more all this effort that has been done up till now. These proposals form an action plan which provides viable solutions to the quality and safety issue, as well as an aggressive marketing plan for gaining market shares in both EU and non-EU countries, utilizing the competitive advantage the product gains, as PDO.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudio Paiva, 2008.
"Assessing protectionism and subsidies in agriculture-a gravity approach,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(5), pages 628-640.
- Claudio Paiva, 2005. "Assessing Protectionism and Subsidies in Agriculture: A Gravity Approach," IMF Working Papers 05/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann, 2003. "Augmented Gravity Model: An Empirical Application to Mercosur-European Union Trade Flows," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 291-316, November.
- Carlos Carrillo & Carmen A. Li, 2002.
"Trade Blocks and the Gravity Model: Evidence from Latin American Countries,"
Economics Discussion Papers
542, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Carrillo-Tudela, Carlos & A Li, Carmen, 2004. "Trade Blocks and the Gravity Model: Evidence from Latin American Countries," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 19, pages 667-689.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D., 2003. "Augmented gravity model: An empirical application to Mercosur- European trade flows," International Trade 0309019, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa105:7884. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.