Bernoulli Regression Models: Re-examining Statistical Models with Binary Dependent Variables
The classical approach for specifying statistical models with binary dependent variables in econometrics using latent variables or threshold models can leave the model misspecified, resulting in biased and inconsistent estimates as well as erroneous inferences. Furthermore, methods for trying to alleviate such problems, such as univariate generalized linear models, have not provided an adequate alternative for ensuring the statistical adequacy of such models. The purpose of this paper is to re-examine the underlying probabilistic foundations of statistical models with binary dependent variables using the probabilistic reduction approach to provide an alternative approach for model specification. This re-examination leads to the development of the Bernoulli Regression Model. Simulated and empirical examples provide evidence that the Bernoulli Regression Model can provide a superior approach for specifying statistically adequate models for dichotomous choice processes.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keane, Michael, 1997. "Current Issues in Discrete Choice Modeling," MPRA Paper 52515, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cosslett, Stephen R, 1983. "Distribution-Free Maximum Likelihood Estimator of the Binary Choice Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 765-782, May.
- Gourieroux,Christian, 2000. "Econometrics of Qualitative Dependent Variables," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521331494, February.
- Spanos, Aris, 1995. "On theory testing in econometrics : Modeling with nonexperimental data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 189-226, May.
- Gourieroux,Christian, 2000. "Econometrics of Qualitative Dependent Variables," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521589857, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19282. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.