Correcting For Spatial Effects In Limited Dependent Variable Regression: Assessing The Value Of "Ad-Hoc" Techniques
A common test for spatial dependence in regression analysis with continuous dependent variables is the Moran's I. For limited dependent variable models, the standard definition of a residual breaks down because yi is qualitative. Efforts to correct for potential spatial effects in limited dependent variable models have relied on ad-hoc methods such as including a spatial lag variable or using a regular sample that omits neighboring observations. Kelejian and Prucha have recently developed a version of Moran's I for limited dependent variable models. We present the statistic in a more accessible way and use it to test the value of previously-used ad-hoc techniques with a specific data set. Keywords: Morans I, Spatial Autocorrelation, Limited Dependent Variable Models, Land-Use Change, Geographical Information Systems (GIS),
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Munroe, Darla K. & Southworth, Jane & Tucker, Catherine M., 2001. "The Dynamics Of Land-Cover Change In Western Honduras: Spatial Autocorrelation And Temporal Variation," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20759, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Denis Bolduc & Bernard Fortin & Stephen Gordon, 1997.
"Multinomial Probit Estimation of Spatially Interdependent Choices: An Empirical Comparison of Two New Techniques,"
International Regional Science Review,
, vol. 20(1-2), pages 77-101, April.
- BOLDUC, Denis & FORTIN, Bernard & GORDON, Stephen, 1995. "Multinomial Probit Estimation of Spatially Interdependent Choices: an Empirical Comparison of Two New Techniques," Cahiers de recherche 9508, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Bolduc, D. & Fortin, B. & Gordon, S., 1995. "Multinomial Probit Estimation of Spatially Interdependent Choices: An Empirical Comparison of Two New Techniques," Papers 9508, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001. "On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1999. "On the Asymptotic Distribution of the Moran I Test Statistic with Applications," Electronic Working Papers 99-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.