Investigating the Sources of Agricultural Growth in Africa: Factor Accumulation, Total Factor Productivity, and Technology Absorption
This paper investigates sources and determinants of agricultural growth in Africa, concentrating on the growth path during the last three decades. The analysis employs the broader framework provided by empirical growth literature and recent developments in Total Factor Productivity (TFP) measurement to search for fundamental determinants of growth in African agriculture. One main contribution and new findings in this analysis is the quantification of the contribution of the productivity growth and the contribution of different inputs such as land, labor, tractor and fertilizer in the agricultural growth. Growth accounting computation highlights the fact that factor accumulation rather than TFP accounts for a large share of agricultural output growth and fertilizer has been the most statistically important physical input contributor to agricultural growth. The study also highlights the extent to which agricultural growth contributors vary in relation with different country conditions, institutions and politico-historical factors.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o FORMAT, 5th Floor, Muthaiga Mini Market, Limuru Road, P.O. Box 79 - 00621 Village Market, Nairobi, Kenya|
Phone: 254 20 6752866
Web page: http://www.aaae-africa.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guy Nkamleu, 2004.
"Productivity Growth, Technical Progress and Efficiency Change in African Agriculture,"
African Development Review,
African Development Bank, vol. 16(1), pages 203-222.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise, 2003. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress and Efficiency Change in African Agriculture," MPRA Paper 11380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K. & Yu, Bingxin, 2003.
"Institutions And Agricultural Productivity In Sub-Sahara Africa,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25818, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K. & Yu, Bingxin, 2004. "Institutions and agricultural productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 169-180, December.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin & Bingxin Yu, 2005. "Institutions and Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," Development and Comp Systems 0502021, EconWPA.
- Yasmina Reem Limam & Stephen M. Miller, 2004. "Explaining Economic Growth: Factor Accumulation, Total Factor Productivity Growth, and Production Efficiency Improvement," Working papers 2004-20, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Robert M. Solow, 1956. "A Contribution to the Theory of Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 65-94.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaae07:52108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.