Globalization and Human Development
In: Proceedings of the Conference on Globalization and Its Discontents
This article investigates the social impact of globalization as measured by economic liberalization. This study attempts to answer four questions using cross-section of countries: Does globalization spur human development? Is globalization related to gender related economic development? Does globalization exacerbate income inequality? Finally, what is the impact of globalization on different income group? Regression analysis for cross-section of about 150 countries indicates that there is a strong relation between globalization and human development and gender related development indexes for entire counties. However, only high-income countries show a significant relation. One impression emerges from the study is that the key consideration in determining a country's position in human development ranking is not related to globalization for developing countries at low or low-middle income groups. Globalization perhaps is important for human development only after certain level of income growth. Also, the results indicate that globalization exacerbates income inequality is for the all income groups, but the relation does not hold when testing for different income levels.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by Izmir University of Economics in its series Papers of the Annual IUE-SUNY Cortland Conference in Economics with number
200707.||Handle:|| RePEc:izm:prcdng:200707||Contact details of provider:|| Fax: (90) 232 279 2626|
Web page: http://eco.ieu.edu.tr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Torben Andersen & Tryggvi Thor Herbertsson, 2005. "Quantifying globalization," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(10), pages 1089-1098.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian, 2005.
"Does financial liberalization spur growth?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 3-55, July.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2001. "Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?," NBER Working Papers 8245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2004. "Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?," Working Paper Research 53, National Bank of Belgium.
- J. Ram Pillarisetti, 1997. "An empirical note on inequality in the world development indicators," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 145-147.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:izm:prcdng:200707. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ayla Ogus Binatli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.