Tackling Low Income and Deprivation: Developing Effective Policies
This study examines options for the future development of the Irish welfare state, with a view to tackling low income and deprivation more effectively. The structure of Ireland's welfare state is put in international context, and a review of demographic developments and prospects helps to clarify the nature of future challenges for the system. Policy issues arising for the main "vulnerable groups" identified in the National Action Plan for Social Inclusion are then considered in depth, as are issues of the spatial distribution of poverty. Finally, the potential impacts of alternative large-scale policy reform packages are explored, using SWITCH, the ESRI tax-benefit model.
|This book is provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Research Series with number RS1 and published in 2008.|
|ISBN:||0 7070 0263 X|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garrett, Shane & Mathieu, Catherine & Nolan, Anne & Nolan, Brian & Sterdyniak, Henri, 2004. "Budget Perspectives 2005," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number BMI176 edited by Callan, Tim & Doris, Aedin & McCoy, Daniel.
- Gannon, Brenda & Nolan, Brian, 2003. "Disability and Labour Market Participation," Papers HRBWP04, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Freeman, Richard B, 1996. "The Minimum Wage as a Redistributive Tool," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 639-49, May.
- Randi Kjeldstad & Marit R�nsen, 2004. "Welfare Rules, Business Cycles, And Employment Dynamics Among Lone Parents In Norway," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 61-89.
- Barrett, Alan & Bergin, Adele & Coleman, Kieran & McHale, John & Morgenroth, Edgar & Walsh, John R., 2005. "Budget Perspectives 2006," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number BMI181 edited by Callan, Tim & Doris, Aedin.
- Tim Callan & Tim Smeeding & Panos Tsakloglou, 2007. "Distributional Effects of Public Education Transfers in Seven European Countries," Papers WP207, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- repec:esr:chaptr:jacb200504 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ese:iserwp:2002-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul Gregg & Susan Harkness & Sarah Smith, 2009.
"Welfare Reform and Lone Parents in the UK,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(535), pages F38-F65, 02.
- Gordon Keenay & Edward R. Whitehouse, 2003. "Financial Resources and Retirement in Nine OECD Countries: The Role of The Tax System," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 8, OECD Publishing.
- Ruud de Mooij, 2006. "Reinventing the welfare state," CPB Special Publication 60, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- James Banks & R Disney & Alan Duncan & John Van Reenen, 2004.
"The Internationalisation of Public Welfare Policy,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0656, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Martin Biewen & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2002.
"Accounting for Poverty Differences between the United States, Great Britain, and Germany,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
311, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Maitre, Bertrand & Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 2006. "Reconfiguring the Measurement of Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Ireland," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS58.
- Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 1996. "Resources, Deprivation, and Poverty," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287858, March.
- Atkinson, A.B., 2000. "A European social agenda: poverty benchmarking and social transfers," EUROMOD Working Papers EM3/00, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Nolan, Brian & Gannon, Brenda & Layte, Richard & Watson, Dorothy & Whelan, Christopher T. & Williams, James, 2002. "Monitoring Poverty Trends in Ireland: Results from the 2000 Living in Ireland survey," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS45.
- Callan, Tim & Coleman, Kieran & Walsh, John R., 2007. "Work Incentives, Poverty and Welfare in Ireland," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS60.
- Callan, Tim & Walsh, John, 2006. "Assessing the impact of tax/transfer policy changes on poverty: methodological issues and some European evidence," EUROMOD Working Papers EM1/06, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Barrett, Alan & Bergin, Adele, 2005. "Assessing Age-related Pressures on the Public Finances 2005 to 2050," Papers BP2006/1, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:resser:rs001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.